Chapter Nine

I couldn't sleep at all.

Although, to be fair, that's not exactly not normal for me. I don't really need a lot of sleep in general. Maybe a good nights rest every few days or so.

Anyways, I was just laying there for hours, trying to recall and savor every moment of that night. That was, until Bella knocked on my door.

Bella never knocks on my door. The only times she's done so is when I've done something bad. I sprang up and quickly looked through my closet to find something to change into, aware I was still in my hunting shirt. I grabbed a casual short sleeve violet one-piece dress with lacey black flowery designs on it and threw it on.

"Bionca? Can I come in?"

"Uh.. Hold on.." I said as I stuffed my hunting dress back in my closet and struggled to shut the door.

"Bionca, today please."

"Just a second!" I said as I slammed the door shut. I smoothed my dress down and said the spell in my head and pointed at the door. When the door opened she just lingered in the doorway, seeming disgusted by the many animals in my room.

"Bionca, you are required to attend a meeting, but not for translation purposes. This meeting-"

"Am I in trouble?" I asked, trying to keep calm as I thought about Liv, the mermaid, and the human.

"Not necessarily.." She raised an eyebrow. "We just need to fill you in on a important decision."

"What decision?"

"You will see. Meetings in an hour, get dressed in something proper. And please- wash your hair." She said before leaving.

***

There are little ponds all over the island, perfect for bathing in. Although, sometimes it takes forever to find an empty one.

This time it only took me 17 minutes. After removing my dress, I stepped in the water, submerging myself when deep enough. I stood up, and realized the pond was only neck deep where I was at. I soaked my hair and grabbed my homemade shampoo and squirt some into my hand and began to lather it onto my hair. After I was done, I submerged myself to get rid of the shampoo. Closing my eyes, my gills allowed me to take a breath.

Then I saw it.

What exactly, not sure, possibly a vision or a glimpse into the future, but whatever it was, the thought didn't come from me.

It was me and the human, in a poorly lit room. He was really close to me, his hand on my waist. He leaned in towards me...

I coughed vigorously, choking on some shampoo particles. Realizing the vision or whatever wasn't coming back, I hurridly swam to the surface, ready to get dressed and head to the meeting.

The dress I decided to wear was a form fitting and down to my knees. It was plain maroon with sleeves down to my elbows and had a v-cut. The back of it was cut low enough for my wings to stick out.

After slipping into the dress, I took off to head back to the castle to brush my hair. When I crawled in the window of my room, I was shocked to see both Bella and Chandler standing in the doorway. I figured I must have forgot to shut the door.

"Bionca, are you ready to go?" She looked at my wet, tangled hair. "Obviously not." She mutterd as she carefully stepped around all the small creatures in the floor of my room.

"I'll go wait downstairs." Chandler said before turning away. Bella used her telekinesis to move the hairbrush from the dresser into her hand. She silently began to brush my hair.

"Your hair is so long." She said as she finished getting all the tangles out. She weaved a frenchbraid at the top of my hair and ended it into a thick, perfect bun. "Let's go, we are already late." She hurried towards the door and I followed.

***

When we walked in, all eyes turned on us. The usual party was there, consisting of Onnicah, (leader of the Kingdom of Rose,) Christo, (leader is the Neutral,) the 'royal' recorder, (still don't know what his name is,) Kristof, (the most brilliant wise men,) and of course, us.

"You're late." Kristof's gray eyes looked us up and down with a hint of disgust.

Bella walked to her chair and sat up straight, with confidence I could only dream of having. "My apologies; we lost track of time." She said, not breaking eye contact. Chandler and I followed her lead and sat down on either side of her.

"Now that we are all here, let's begin." Onnicah stated. Her attention turned to me. "Bionca, how are you today?" The ends of her lips curled up slightly.

"Fine. And you?"

"Good," she hesistated. "Do you remember where you were, and what you were doing yesterday night?"

"Stop beating around the bush and just tell her." Christo said, elvish accent showing through. Onnicah looked down and her overly-large fairy wings twitched. Christos pale blue eyes narrowed.

"A few of my mermaids came to me yesterday, carrying one whose eyes were burnt out of her skull," He paused, searching my features. "She was quite upset, but once I calmed her down, she told me that you were the one who did it."

"S-she was going to kill me.." I stuttered.

"What were you doing in mermaid territory anyways? That alone is a reason for war." His pale eyes flickered.

"Hold on now- let's not go there just yet." Onnicah interrupted.

"Why not? We have just put bandaid solutions on our differences for years." His voice rose slightly. The two began to bicker and when Kristof got involved, Bella cleared her throat.

"Perhaps there is another way." She said, voice as clear as can be.

"I'm listening." Christo rose an eyebrow.

"You have a son, am I correct?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Is your son married or in a relationship?"

My eyes widened. No, she would never... Would she?

"No, he is not."

There was a long pause.

"What if we introduce him to Bionca, and say he grows fond of her." She breathed out heavily, as if she was holding her breath.

"And then?"

"We...we have a wedding...And we can rule... We can..." She stuttered, suddenly showing signs of uncomfort.

"We can make the two kingdoms one kingdom." Finished Christo, eyes wide with shock and ammusment. My pulse started to quicken.

When Chandler and Bella got married, Chandler broke away from the Neutral, so there really was no kingdom binding going on, so I can see why she would want to do this. I made a mistake and she's covering up for it, like Bella always does. I'm ending a war and possibly all future wars with the Neutral... Yet... I still can't help feeling like a prisoner.

"Bionca? Are you okay?" Onnicah interrupted my thoughts.

"W-what?" I stammered.

"Darling you look very pale..."

"What? Oh.. I'm sorry.. Uhm.. Yeah."

Everyone looked at me.

"Yeah to what?" Christo asked. I looked at Bella, who was looking at me with tears in her eyes and 'I'm sorry' written all over her face. I know she would never do this if she didn't have to, and I do owe her for many things in life.

But I still can't help feeling angry, sold away, and betrayed.

"Y-yeah to the marriage alliance thing." I answered. Christo smiled victoriously.

"Alright then, it's a date. Let's say... Tomorrow afternoon? How about a walk around the castle gardens?" Bella said, breaking the silence.

Christos smile got even bigger. "Sounds delightful."