Chapter 1

Jariel could feel the walls around him come crashing down. He tried his best not to look behind him as he ran for his life, terrified of the scene that was now forming behind him. He questioned what was happening, and why it was happening now. All he knew at the moment was that he had to get out of there, and fast. He quickly turned the corner of the coliseum, hoping to escape, but was stopped dead in his tracks. He stood there for a second, trying to catch his breath. It was her, the one who had caused all this. He was about to turn around, to flee from her evil gaze, when the columns fell before him, blocking his path. He cursed under his breath as he realized that his only means of escaping were now gone. He reluctantly turned around to face her, ready to meet his fate. A cruel smile formed on her flawless face as a wicked laugh escaped from her chest.

            “You’re finished now.” She said, her voice full of pride. “How does it feel to be the one that nobody wants? To no longer be the favorite? Let’s face it, you’re nothing now.” Jariel could only watch as the floor beneath him disappeared and he began to fall away from the only place he could ever call home.

*            *              *              *

Jariel woke up screaming at the top of his lungs.

He sat up from the cold, damp, ground and looked around at his surroundings. He was in a dark alleyway; at least he thought he was. He couldn’t really see anything in the dark and from the recent events he didn’t know what to think of at the moment. His head was still spinning with thoughts and questions. Bright, flashing, lights radiated from both ends of the alley and he could hear what sounded like car horns going off at one of the ends. He wondered silently to himself what had happened as he wrapped his white, prodigious, wings around his body to shelter him from the cold. He had been the most faithful servant; the most loyal of them all and this is what he received in return? To be thrown out of heaven, his only known home, to live among these disgusting scum known as humans. It was unbelievable. He cursed under his breath. He should have known better than to have trusted Elise, who had been known to trick angels who were more favored than her. He had let his guard down and now he had to deal with the consequences. Jariel let out a deep, frustrated, sigh. Things were going so smoothly between them though that he thought she had changed. He actually believed that she had become his friend. He never once thought that she was just toying with him and his emotions. He was a fool. He should have known Elise would never change. She would always be that petty angel that had to be the center of attention.

            Jariel decided nothing good was going to come out of sitting in a dark, damp, alley throwing himself a pity party. He slowly stood up, reluctantly hid his wings, and started to make his way out of the alley, his black combo boots splashing in the small, muddy, puddles. He loathed that he had to hide his wings from the mortal realm, for they were a part of him. He reached the end of the dimly lit alley and looked around, letting his eyes adjust to the bright lights of the city that he was trapped in. Taxis flew by and herds of people were rambling their way down the sidewalks. He silently questioned where he was until his royal blue eyes hit a big sign that was lit up like the forth of July and read “Welcome to New York City.”

            “Great.” He muttered to himself as he  brushed his long, black, hair out of his face and cussed under his breath again. “I’m in the city that never sleeps.”

*              *             *        *

            Dawn entered Joe’s Diner, completely out of breath from running all the way there. Despite her feeble attempt to get to work on time, she arrived late once again. She knew her boss would be upset, but at the present moment she was more concerned about the painting at home that needed to be finished before her friend, Sam, left in two days. The painting was going to be a goodbye gift.