Glaciem Hortom PART ONE

The entire world seems to be on mute. Fuzzy faces are mouthing words, but I can't hear any of them. The only thing I can hear is the beat of my heart; the only thing telling me I'm still alive. A buzzing sound starts to drown out the silence. I force my eyes open, trying to stay conscious.

Everything starts to come back into focus just as I black out again.

~~~~~~~~

This time, I wake quickly. And when I do, my vision and hearing is fine. That's how I see the curved dagger protruding from my midsection. I blink in confusion. How the hell did that get there?

"Jessica!" a piercing scream interrupts my thoughts.

I look up to see Paige's face, her hair practically a hat on the top of her head. I laugh, and clutch my stomach at the pain it causes me. Where did that come from?

"Stay awake!" she commands, her voice a shrill shriek.

"We're going to get help." a different, more soothing voice says.

I turn my head to see a blond head of hair. Or is it brown? My forehead creases. I can't tell if it's John or Jason.

"Wha-what happened?" I force out, my mouth as dry as a desert.

I have to work to unstick my tongue from the roof of my mouth. The two exchange worried looks. I finally realize that it's Jason.

"You stabbed yourself." Jason says. Bluntly.

I laugh again. "I stabbed myself?"

His brow crinkles. "Maybe, maybe try not to move. Or laugh. Or talk."

"It's fine." I say, almost robotically.

I frown. Did I just say that? It feels like words are coming out of my mouth but I'm not telling them to. Whatever the case, I doubt I stabbed myself. I've heard crazy things in my short seventeen years, but I've never stabbed myself. That's just... insane.

"John went to go get help. So we just need you to hold on for a few more minutes." Paige says, her voice quivering.

"Why did John go to get help?" I ask.

"Huh?"

"How come John went to get help and not one of you? I thought he was pretty good with doctoring."

Paige makes a psh sound. "Please. He has nothing on me. And I needed him to explain the situation. Jason here, is medically inept so I didn't really care what he did."

Jason smirks. "Oh really. Is that why you wouldn't let me help my best friend."

Paige, is Paige blushing? I narrow my eyes suspiciously at her but she seems to be purposely avoiding my gaze. She waves her hand and makes another psh sound.

"John didn't need you." she mumbles, her hand making flicking motions.

I realize she's stirring up a translucent paste. That smells absolutely putrid. I'm surprised she hasn't thrown up yet.

"What happened?" I ask. "After I blacked out that is."

"We portaled to a dump. Literally. And you were bleeding all over the place. So I had to tap into some of John's energy and take us here."

"Where exactly is here?"

"Nearby a hospital. We didn't want to move you." Jason speaks up.

"What about the stabbing myself part?"

Jason fiddles with his shirt. Paige stirs faster, neither of them meeting my eyes.

"Well?" I demand.