Home Sweet Home

"It's good to be back." I say, returning the smile.

Her gaze is venomous as it lands on the three. "And you brought... Romans with you."

Romans comes out of her mouth twisted, like she wanted to say something else.

"Friends." I correct sharply.

"Any demigod whose alliances do not lie with the Greeks are enemies to us." she responds coldly.

"Um... well technically I'm friends with her so you can't really say I'm against Greeks..." John mumbles.

"Shut up!" she barks viciously. "You are on Greek territory. Therefore, you do not speak unless you are granted permission to speak. Roman."

"We have information that would be beneficial to the Greeks." I offer, trying to divert her attention.

She sneers. "A roman spy? That's low Jess, even for you."

I flinch at her words. "It's important."

Before she can speak again, Jason starts up. "She has access to unauthorized roman military strengths. She's willing to share the information with you."

Before I can scream at him to shut up, I hear the sound of the front doors unlocking. I pivot slowly to see that the doors have in fact, opened. To my utter astonishment, the doors are being held open by none other then...

"Well come on in roman demigods. My name is Isabelle Wang." Isabelle grins.

My jaw drops. She disappears through the doors without looking back. A sign that she wants us to follow her.

"What is this place?" Paige hisses to me as we walk up the steps.

But by the looks on her face-all of their faces, they already know.

"The Greek house." I mutter. "Welcome to the Parthenon."

~~~~~~~~

The way Greeks interrogate is different from the Romans. There's no serum, no blackout. Not a single second when you aren't in full control of your body. And that's what makes it so much more difficult.

I have no idea what they did to the others but what they did to me, was awful. At first, they put John and I in the same room. Tied us to chairs and made us drink fluids that would weaken our strength.

Then they sent Marcus and Luther in. Which pissed me off. I could not figure out why there had to be two sons of Ares interrogating us, rather then one of Ares and one of Poseidon. When they started cranking the heat up, I understood.

I don't do well with heat. Children of the war god fare much better then children of the sea. Of course, Hephaestus's children do the best, but Ares kids prefer hot to cold. The instant the room hit 40˚C, my brain bubbled. And as a result, words started flowing from my mouth.

It was absolutely awful. I had free will, and I could stop myself whenever I wanted, but I couldn't. I would do anything to escape the heat. Sweat poured off my body in torrents as my body tried to eject the heat and humidity.

Every time I stopped, not wanting to give something away, they spiked the temperature. John was not allowed to speak, or make a sound. Every time he did, the chair would send up electric currents and electrocute him.

After that was done, they put me into a giant air tank to run tests. I don't know how that one worked, but when something I did came out as negative, they sucked some air away. It went to the point of near suffocation. Which was new because I'd never been in danger of suffocation my entire life.

Finally, before they let me go, they injected me with a tracker. It was supposed to monitor my movements, my activities, and my heart rate.

When the process was finally finished, I was shaking uncontrollably. Whether from shock or the tracker shifting in my arm, I'm not sure.

"You're free to go." Maree finally says. "Iz will be over later to check up."

I nod numbly. It's probably shock. It's so odd to see these people-most of them I've known over half my life-treat me like strangers. Like Romans.

Everyone looks at me sideways as I'm escorted down the hall. Even the newcomers, the ones that I've never seen in my life, give me dirty looks. I might as well have the word "traitor" branded across my forehead. Or possibly "roman". Whatever it is they're pissed at me about.

Cerberus, one of the tamed hellhounds, leads me to my old room. I push the door open and peer inside. Nothing's changed. My bed sheets are still strewn across my bed, my desk still cluttered with random papers. There's a thin layer of dust coating everything. I can tell they've been going through my things.

There is something new about my room though. The black and silver security camera. And of course, the red-headed nymph making up Fi's bed. She looks up when I walk in.

"They didn't put an ankle monitor on you?" she asks in dismay.

I roll my eyes. "They injected me."

She shakes her head. "That's awful. Greeks are awf-awesomely violent." she quickly corrects herself.

I roll my eyes again. "We just do things differently."

She doesn't answer and instead pulls at the sheets of the perfectly made bed. It's weird seeing her there, I have to admit. I know those sheets to belong to black haired, blue eyed Fi. Seeing Paige with her fiery mane and green orbs is unsettling.

"Jess, I know we aren't really close," she starts hesitantly.

"Try at all." I mutter and lean against the door frame.

"But I have to ask. If me, Avery and Parker were to escape, would you help them or us?"

"Avery and Parker aren't going to run Pixie. So I suggest you stay put too." I snap.

"Maybe not John." she shrugs. "But Jason's thinking about it."

"How do you know?" I glare.

She flinches. "I can read his mind. And John's. I can read most Roman minds."

"That's ridiculous." I splutter. "How would Jason get away?"

"If someone from the Roman house wants him to come back, is there to receive him, he can go back no problem. Plus I can create portals." she says matter-of-factly.

I narrow my eyes. "Didn't anybody tell you they put restraints on our powers? That mean no portal creating."

"Doesn't stop Jason." she deadpans.

"You know there are security cameras in the room right? And if Jason can teleport so easily, why didn't he so it when we were out in the desert?"

"I disabled the cameras." she shrugs. "And wards were put against his return. No one wanted him to come back and no one expected it. When the two left, they were about as skinny as you. And they fought like mortal girls."

"Skinny? How were they skinny?" I demand.

I know it's entirely possible, but I just want a topic to argue about. I'm pissed at her. How could she suggest that to my face? Much less to my face at the Greek house?

"They're not exactly that muscular now? I mean, Roy verses Jason? Who's more muscular? Not who would win in a fight, but muscle-wise. Who?" she snarks.

"Me or you? Who's more muscular? And who would win in a fight?" I snap.

She sighs. "Can we not do this now? The Asian lady-"

"Isabelle." I interrupt.

"Isabelle told me I needed to go to the mess hall? And to tell the person by the something my I.D. is 127."

"Lets go then." I mumble.

"To where?"

"You'll see."

~~~~~~~~

The mess hall was different from what I remembered. Apparently, you didn't need to sit with your siblings anymore. It was carnage in there. Meanwhile, Paige was standing hesitantly by the door.

"Is this the right place? This looks like a dining hall." she says uncertainly.

"We're in the right place." I sulk. "See, that's Jonathan standing by the fountain."

She nods and rushes over. I follow behind, still sulking.

"I.D. please." I hear Jonathan mutter.

"Um, it's 124, wait, no, 127? Or 6?" Paige stammers.

I sigh and push past her. "Hi Jonathan."

His look of boredom is replaced by one of disgust and hostility. "Jessica King. I see it really is you. You can go sit with your other... criminal friends. Table eighty."

I grin mockingly at him and drag Paige off.

"Criminals?" she protests softly.

"You're Romans, so everyone automatically hates you. I got two innocents killed, so they hate me." I reply bluntly.

"You what?" she gasps.

"Like you've never killed?" I snap. "And I don't want to talk about it. Not to you."

She looks offended, but she backs down. John and Jason are already seated. With their hands cuffed to the table. I raise an eyebrow as I take a seat. Paige wrinkles her nose at the sight of the trays.

"This is what they feed you here?"

"This is what they feed prisoners." I snap.

Her face takes on a slightly green tint, but she picks up her spoon without further complaint.

"What's with the fancy bracelets?" I ask, nodding to the shackles.

"We got into a fight." Jason deadpans.

I snort. "That explains the black eye."

John groans. "It's black already?"

I laugh and shovel in a spoonful of the gruel. "No, but it's getting there."

He groans again and picks at his slice of bread. Then I notice that they haven't even touched the bowls. I look at their faces. Paige looks appalled, and she gags every few seconds. Jason, though eating, looks just as disgusted. John looks, well dismayed, but he's only eaten a few bites of the bread. I have to roll my eyes.

"What do the Romans feed you, little spoiled brats? Caviar and roasted squash soup?"

Paige sniffs disdainfully. "Actually, chicken breasts and mashed potatoes is what I have most days."

I widen my eyes. "Oh poor baby! Chicken breasts and mashed potatoes? They might as well be feeding you horse shit."

"Just. Shut. Up. And eat." Jason moans.

He attempts to put his face in his hands, but the cuffs stop him short. He sighs and just rests his head against the table. Which happens to very nice, I might add. Cold granite with silver embellishing. The chairs are a plush red velvet with armrests and vibrating functions.

I have to laugh at the thought. Usually, prisoners would eat in their cells, with no tables or chairs. But since I happen to be a Greek, a formerly respected one, they have to allow me into the mess hall. And with me, the Romans. Sitting at lavish tables and first class seats.

I notice John giving me a funny look and I quickly mask my face, giving myself a stoic expression. I remind myself there are people out there living in much worse conditions then I am. So I continue to eat.

When I'm finished, I hit a buzzer that's under the table. Immediately, one of the auri appear in front of our table. She doesn't look friendly.

John yelps and jumps back. "What the-"

"She's a auri." I interrupt. "You have them too."

His eyes are wide as he pokes his head around both sides of the auri. She stops his curiosity when he tries to put his hand through her body. The mist around her eyes darken as she puts his hand away.

"She's still a person." I say, enunciating my words.

He slowly retracts his hand and sets it down on the table. The auri smirks at him and swirls away with a gust of wind. That wind snaps the cuffs on John's and Jason's wrists. They stare at their hands in amazement, and after the auri the same way.

"She was kinda hot." Paige notes inbetween a mouthful of apple.

I arch an eyebrow. "I didn't know you were into-"

"Girls?" she interrupts. "I'm not. But a hot wind spirit? I mean, she was the noticeable kind of hot. Like him. And he's a human."

She points to Chris, sitting three tables over from us. I shudder. Chris was a man-whore from what I remember. A different girl every night. Even mortal ones. And if there were no mortals or demigods around, he would settle for a nymph, or a spirit. Like Paige.

He sees me looking at him and winks. I gag and turn away to see Paige giggling and tossing her hair. I roll my eyes. Another victim put into place.

Paige quickly finishes her apple after and I stand, ready to conk out. The three follow behind me like little, docile lambs. I lead them down the hall; the route is so familiar to me, yet at the same time, so strange.

For example, the extremely buff and unfamiliar teenager blocking our path. His expression looks angry as he slaps a hand on my shoulder. Though I'm quite a few inches shorter then him, he backs away when I narrow my eyes.

"I have orders from Isabelle to take you to the weaponry room." he mumbles.

I open my mouth to snap at him when John slaps me. It's a very light, feather-light slap, but I glare anyways. Before I can say anything, he grabs my waist and pulls me to his side.

"Trust me," he mutters. "Weaponry room is code for shits gonna go down, so just roll with it."

He raises an eyebrow, asking me if I understand. I don't, and I'm even more annoyed that he's telling me what to do in a Greek house, but I nod anyways. He gives me a sceptic look, but turns away and nods to the stranger.

The stranger smiles, and starts leading us to the weaponry room. I roll my eyes. Even if he is new, he ought to know my name and who I am. I'm pretty sure everyone knows my name now, whereas they only knew of Fi a few years ago. I wonder if anyone remembers her.

We descend a twisting set of narrow stairs. Paige wobbles about uncertainly, but I walk smoothly. This isn't the first time I've been to the weapons room. Not by a long shot.

Newbie turns a corner and ushers us into a cold metal room. Weapons of all shapes and sizes line the walls, arranged by height. There are sections for attack, frontal attacks, defense, training weapons with blunt edges, and all sorts of other goodies. I eye a small silver dagger to my left and snort. I would've assumed that they'd throw away any weapons of mine after I was banished.

Once we're inside, the newbie leaves, and is replaced by Lily and Alex. They've changed. That's the first thing I notice. Lily's bright red hair has been dyed black and the playful spark in her eyes has turned into a cruel edge. Alex is still blonde and smiling her half-smile. But there's fear evident in her eyes. Her skin is gaunt and pale, huge shadows circling her eyes. It looks as if she hasn't slept in days.

"Isabelle is waiting." Lily says emotionlessly.

Without another word, they turn away, their dresses trailing behind them. John looks less certain of his plan to just "roll with it".

We follow them to a room I've never seen before. It must've been newly added. Isabelle is waiting inside, her billowing dress replaced with skinny jeans and an off-the-shoulder top. Her black hair has been braided to one side with a few wisps framing her face. She looks very different. Not at all like the shy, nervous, unsure Isabelle I had left.

"Sit." she commands.

I roll my eyes and hesitantly take a seat from across her. Jason and John are strapped down and tied to chairs with a heavy rope. Not that it matters. Jason's rope has already snapped; he's only holding his hands behind his back to keep up the act. Paige hasn't been tied down. Unsurprisingly, Chris has her, his arms wrapped tightly around her midsection. She doesn't seem to have a problem with it, a small smirk on her face.

"The blond, what's his name?" Isabelle starts, folding her hands.

"Eat shit horse face." I immediately spit.

I barely have time to realize my mistake when I feel a hard slap scorch my cheekbone. It doesn't do anything to help with my temper.

"I was going to apologize." I snap. "I forgot who I was talking to. But if you expect one now, you might as well ask me to cut an arm off."

Isabelle's eyes narrow. "Brutus, she wants her arm cut off. Fetch a chainsaw would you? A nice loud one. Lilly, hold her down."

My mouth pops open in shock. I hadn't expected that. I look to Jason and John in confusion. Say sorry! they both mouth. I glare at them and turn away. No way in hell am I apologizing. I have only two options. Fight, or lose an arm. And losing an arm isn't an option.

Thanking the gods they didn't tie me down, I stand up so swiftly my chair is knocked over and deliver an uppercut to Lilly's chin. Stunned, she rocks back on her feet. I give her a hard shove and send a fist flying at her face. Her head smacks against the oak floor and she's down for the count.

Fists held up to guard my face and my neck, I twist around, ready for more. But for some reason, no one else makes a move. In fact, they didn't even try to intercept my fists crashing towards Lilly's-now broken-nose. They all look at me with apprehensive eyes.

"Well?" I shout.

Isabelle stands, the faintest hint of a smile playing on her lips.

"Jessica King." she says monotonously. "I don't think you understand what we did to you."

"Oh I understand plenty." I snap. "You kicked me out because a made a mistake-albeit a big, understandably unforgivable one, treat me like rom-scum when I come back, and try to saw my arm off!"

"I meant the injection." she says, the grin now evident on her face. "The one that's killing you from the inside."

I hear a muffled protest from across the room. She must've injected the others with it too.

"Oh relax." she snaps. "All it does is weaken you. However, if you fight against it, if you keep on pushing yourself, it will kill you."

She says this with a warning tone in her voice, like she wants me to be careful but she can't say anything anymore. And though it's extremely hard for me to sit down and swallow my pride, I do it. Iz offers me a slight grin before standing up.

"And now, because the rest of the house feels my interrogating you about this issue would be... biased, I've brought in someone else."

Right on cue, the door opens and a man dressed in a fancy suit walks in, his face covered by the guards surrounding him. He smoothly takes Isabelle's seat.

"Jessica, meet your interrogator."

The man sitting in front of me, is Cyron.