Chapter 22

"Leo?"

I nudged him with my elbow, staring at him as he slept. A strong ray of morning sun streamed in through the window, and I sat up from the mattress, rubbing my eyes groggily. Leo began to stir and I smiled, gently brushing a few strands of hair out of his eyes with my hand. He grinned and peeked at me with one eye open.

"Come here"

He grabbed my waist and pulled me onto his bare chest abruptly, and I laughed as his fingers tickled me. I rested my head against his outstretched arm, and sighed happily as he stared at me. Except, I began to feel guilty, so much that my stomach began to twist. I heaved myself upward, turning away from Leo as I swung my legs over the side of the bed and onto the floor, staring out the window with worried eyes.

"What's wrong?" Leo sat up and wrapped his arms around my middle, resting his head on the nape of my neck as he kissed my shoulder. I smiled, comforted my his warm touch, but it didn't help much.

"I need...to tell you something. And I don't think, you're going to like it very much..."

"You can tell me anything," he continued kissing my shoulders.

"Leo, I'm serious, this isn't a very light matter."

He stopped, shifting his weight onto the opposite side of me so he could see my face.

"Okay, I'm listening."

I got up from  the bed and put on his over-sized flannel shirt, tucking a lock of hair back behind my ears as the hem of the garment ended about mid-thigh on my bare legs. I crossed my arms, and propped myself against the wall as I inhaled, trying to collect my thoughts. Leo stared at me blankly.

"Well?"

"Okay, I know this going to sound, completely and utterly outrageous."

"It can't be that-"

"Leo, just hear me out."

He nodded and pretended to lock his lips, throwing away the imaginary key behind himself. But not even that could spark a smile on my end.

"Leo, do you, trust me?"

"Of course I do! Why would you ask me that?"

"Do you promise, to believe me when I tell you what I'm about to say?"

"...yes?"

"Leo!"

"Yes, yes!"

I nodded, walking out of the room and across the hall to my kitchen. Leo rolled off the bed, following me as he tried to comb his messy hair with his fingers. He yawned, standing in the archway  to the kitchen in his boxers.

"Okay, I think you better sit down."

Leo approached the small table that was placed in the corner with two mismatching chairs. I watched him from the counter near the sink, biting my lip as I watched him slowly sit.

"To start this all off, there's something you should know, about, my name..."

"And a beautiful name at that, Lily Hart, soon-to-be Mrs. Wright."

"Leo, you said you would pay attention."

He groaned and leaned back against the chair, resting his head against the wall.

"My name isn't Lily."

Leo's brow furrowed in confusion, "Is it, Lilith?"

"No, it's Mina."

"Okay, Mina Hart. That's a pretty name, is that all? That's nothing to be worried about sweetie-" Leo got up from the table and started to approach me but I halted him with a firm hand raised at his chest.