Chapter 3

Please comment and vote if you like! Thnx! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the horrifying train ride, I apologized to Daren and told him that I had to go home and finish some errands. I rushed out of the subway and got onto a bus, but passed my apartment. I needed the Elders' help. The bus arrived a few blocks away from Central Park, and I quickly walked over to a shaded street filled with old, gothic brownstones.

I arrived at the oldest most ornate one, all the way at the end of the block, and lifted the large heavy knocker, giving it one, angry and loud rap against the ancient wooden door. The door immediately creaked open revealing a long and dimly lit hallway, but there was no one there. I stormed into the house, rushing past the antique wood paneled walls and trampling the Persian carpet until I finally arrived at a large marble arch at the end.

I waited patiently, but my foot was nervously tapping against the floor as my eyes searched the room I wanted to enter. A large granite fireplace crackled and glowed, enveloping the three elders which all sat in tall upholstered armchairs. They all wore matching black cloaks, and the bright light of the fire danced across their pale wrinkled faces. One turned with a large grin on his face and he waved his hand, beckoning me into the room.

I smiled and walked in calm and collected, my footsteps light and graceful - very different from earlier. I arrived, facing each of the Elders, and bowed deeply. They each nodded and I rose, my posture straight and my face demure. The Elder which sat in the middle rose his chin, addessing me. 

"You have come to us, seeking our advice?" His voice was raspy and wise.

I nodded and waited as the Elder closest to my left also addressed me.

"Has the boy contacted you?"

I nodded and waited, the Elder motioned for me to continue. I bowed my head in thanks and inhaled deeply.

"After two days of no contact, Edgar appeared before me during my exam -"

The Elder to my right suddenly rose his head and smiled at me childishly.

"Oh! How did you do on that my dear?" His eyes was cheerful and curious.

This Elder's name was Quintus. He had always been the most gentle and kind towards me during my childhood, and he was my favorite guardian as well. I smiled warmly at Quintus,

"I did very well Quintus, but getting back to the point, he then disappeared and - "

The Elder who had spoken first interrupted me, his eyes stern. His name was Vibius.

" Did he make any other form of contact with you throughtout the rest of the day?"

I nodded, I had learned to be tolerant of the Elders's interruptions, they were above me and I always obeyed. "Yes, when I went on the subway later in the day with Daren -"

The last Elder, Amius, whipped his head towards's me, his eyes in shock. "Who is this Daren?" I swallowed, "He is a friend of mine." Amius's gaze was cold as he listened to me. "A friend? Well, my Mina, let that be all. You cannot form these types of relationships with a male mortal. I forbid you to see him."

My eyes grew wide, "But he's -"

"Enough! You are to do as you are told, is that understood?"

I nodded and held my gaze with the floor. Quintus rose from his chair, he towered a good foot above me. He walked towards me slowly and wrapped a warm arm around my shoulder.

"Now now Mina. You must understand the situation from our perspective. Our worlds are at war, and now, a chance after thousands of years has arose, a peace treaty. You should be proud!"

"Be honored!" Vibius chimed.

"Be obedient..." Amius said slowly. He scrutinized my appearance with squinted eyes.

Quintus nodded in agreement with the others and looked down at me. "Your engagement to Edgar will cease this war, and then your marriage shall form a permanent peace between both battling sides. You, my dear girl, are our only hope."

I shook free of Quintus's arm and turned toward's the fireplace. "Please! Don't put that kind of pressure on me!"

"Why not?" Amius roared. He too stood from his chair. "You have been raised all your life, knowing your destiny, and know it's time to fulfill it!"

I stared into the white hot embers of the burning firewood, my expression blank. "He said.......that he wouldn't let Daren get in his way. He will do whatever it takes."

Quintus came to me, brushing my hair out of my eyes until he finally rested his hand on the back of my head. "For the peace of our worlds, Mina."

I let out a shaky breath, feeling a chill creep up my spine as I realized, I had nowhere left to run.