Chapter 15

Edgar left me by the birch tree, and I watched him with silent fear as he descended down the hill and back towards the Mansion. I was afraid, terrified of what lay ahead of me. But I was actually, happy. I had something to look forward too, and my fight for Edgar's heart wasn't over just yet. I followed a few minutes later, entering through the hall to find the Gods gathered in the den with Edgar standing before them. I leaned against the archway, listening.

 "I will be leaving in a few days."

 A small whisper traveled throughout the group, and one voice piped up.

 "Where will you go?"

 Edgar paced to the other side of the room, resting his elbow on the mantle of the fireplace.

 "I do not know yet, but once I have reached my destination, I will consult my father with the impending decisions we are all faced with."

 With that, Edgar walked out of the living room, leaving the atmosphere with an odd sense of suspicion. It was nearing night time, and the skies outside darkened as the sun began to set. Supper would be served soon, and I followed a few hours later upstairs to take a shower.

I wondered about what Edgar had said, where he was going to go, and what he was going to tell his father , the ruler of Hell. It pained me to know that Edgar might have let go of me, that he might have finally given up on us. I walked by my room and further down the hall, to the bathroom. I began to take off my veil and gloves from the funeral, and didn't notice the figure approaching me.

 I walked right into Edgar, and was startled by his sudden appearance. I hadn't even heard him, let alone sensed his presence. Something, wasn't right...

 "Good evening Mina."

 "...Good Evening Edgar..." I breathed slowly, searching his eyes for a hint of emotion.

 "Where are you going?" I asked quietly.

 "To rest for a while, before dinner, I thought I'd take a nap."

 Edgar nodded a farewell, and walked into the bedroom that was conveniently placed right beside the bathroom. Great, not only could I not stop thinking about him, but he was everywhere I went. I watched Edgar disappear into his room, before quickly walking into the bathroom to turn on the shower.

I peeled off my blouse and skirt, neatly folding them on the counter before stepping gingerly under the hot running water. The heat and noise relaxed me, my body loosening as I rested my forehead against the wall of the shower. I gave a small smile, enjoying the sensation of the cool tile against my bare skin.

 And then it hit me, Edgar had removed the connection. He had cut himself off from me, making it impossible for me to sense his thoughts or presence. Edgar was pushing me out of his life, bit by bit, and only now was I aware of it. I slid down against the wall, realizing the severity of my discovery. I curled into the crevice of the shower, letting the hot water run over my body as I contemplated my situation. I didn't care how much he tried to get rid of me. Because no matter what, I knew that he still loved me.

 I opened my eyes, staring at the small pattern of tiles before me, but if I looked farther, past that wall, I saw a man, lying in his bed with a broken heart. I took a deep breath, and softly, began to speak.

 "Do you remember, the first time we were alone together? It was a cold December day. There was snow everywhere, and the tree's were enchanting, crusted in ice and frost. You were holding my hand, as we took a walk deep into the center of the forest behind the Mansion."

 I paused, briefly feeling a sensation of sorrow as I let the memory blossom.

 "I turned, admiring the sunset that colored the horizon with the most beautiful shades of orange and purple. It was like a watercolor painting in the sky, and we paused on our walk to look. I whispered, "I have never seen anything more beautiful." Yet you, Edgar, you were always so charming, and you replied, "I have." Of course, I went on to ask what, and you whispered to me, "Mina Blackburn."

 I wanted to say so much more, by I felt my throat start to constrict, and I buried my head in my wet knees, feeling the waterfall of the hot shower flow down my back. I leaned against the wall, closing my eyes.

 "I don't know what you found, but somehow, you managed to see some beauty in me. Edgar, I have wronged you. In so many ways, and for such a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if you left and we never saw each other again. Because there is a person, waiting, wherever she may be and she will provide you with all the most sincere and honest love you could ever hope for. I don't deserve you."

 The water began to turn cold, but I didn't feel it. I could only hear the sound of my own shame and guilt ringing in my ears. My skin began to form goosebumps, but not from the iciness of the shower, but from the steady pulse of a heartbeat that I felt through the wall. It began to quicken, and thud with a resilient pace. It was Edgar's. I could feel him again, and I knew that he was listening.

 "No matter where you go, and who you may find, there is one thing that will never change. And that's that I will always love you. From the bottom of my soul, I mean that. I have never, and will never love another as much as I have loved you. I will always belong to you, Edgar Brandt."

 I leaned my forehead against the tile, and with a gentle caress of my hand, I softly kissed the wall, pouring every ounce of passion I had into every word I had said, hoping that he would feel it. I stood up and began to lather my shoulders in soap, sighing as I moved away from the corner.

I turned my back to the faucet and let the soap wash off, when I heard a crack. I peered over my shoulder, listening harder as yet another crack followed, coming from the wall. I turned fully now, and gazed curiously, until a loud resounding crash was heard on the other side.

 Some of the tile chipped away, and I stumbled back from the under the water. Another and another, until finally an enormous chunk of the wall imploded on itself. I moved to quickly escape out of the shower, but couldn't as I felt an iron hand grab my wrist. I whipped towards the assailant, and saw Edgar. He was fuming, towering high above me in the small shower.

He was immediately soaked by the shower, and small rivulets of water dripped off of his lips and face onto my chest. I stared at him wide-eyed, shocked by his sudden actions. I moved to cover my naked body, my face turning bright red, the cool water burning on my forehead.

"I guess doors aren't necessary-" I began to croak.

 "I hate you." Edgar pronounced each word with solid distinction, making sure I understood.

 My once love-struck fiery, passion turned cold, and I ripped my wrist from his grip.

 "You are more uptight and unforgiving tha-"

 "I hate you for not letting me go. I hate you so much that I couldn't imagine a world without you in it."

 My thoughts of resentment had been silenced, and I stared up into Edgar's blazing eyes.

 "If that's your idea of romantic, I'll take it." I whispered in reply.

 Edgar crushed me against the wall, holding my face in either of his hands. He kissed me tenderly, his plush lips moving with a sense of urgency I had never felt before. I returned the hunger by clawing at his chest, grabbing fist-fulls of the fabric and pushing him closer towards me.

Edgar lifted me up, wrapping my legs around his waist. He carried me, bending through the large hole he had created in the shower and led me into his bedroom. My fingers laced themselves in his thick mane of charcoal black hair as I eagerly kissed my way down the side of his throat.

 He plopped down on the bed, holding my wet body against his on the sheets. We both sat there, one thought clearly in both of our minds. But I knew we couldn't go any farther, it wasn't allowed unless we did the one thing that had been postponed for five hundred years. I caressed the side of Edgar's face with the back of my hand, eventually letting it rest on his cheek. He held me close, his hands placed securely on the small of my back. I rested my forehead against his and whispered the words,

 "Will you marry me?"