Chapter 10

Lübeck, Germany 1511

(Edgar's P.O.V.)

 Why did he make me come here? Out of all the places in Germany, the Elders had to live here? I bet this girl dressed in rags, she probably has the manners of a begger and the cleanliness of a peasent. I shook away the thought and continued on towards the disheveled estate.

A long, winding gravel path sliced ominously through a thicket of oaks, before being cut away to reveal shaded gardens, with the Blackburn mansion sitting snuggly in the center. I took my time, analyzing my surroundings as I took off my gloves, quickly raking a hand through my hair. A thin layer of frost coated the grounds, crunching quietly beneath my riding boots. Small icicles clung to the crooked branches of the oaks.

 I finally halted, craning my neck upward to get a good look. The mansion was dark, made of stone but accompanied well by a slated roof and wide windows, drawn with heavy curtains. A movement came from the top floor, and my eyes darted in response.

It wouldn't have been noticeable to the human eye, but ever so slightly, the curtain was drawn back, revealing a small peephole into the room. There were a set of eyes, staring down at me. But they weren't just any eyes, they were mysterious. Adventerous. ....beautiful. The lightest shade of amber, but with a flourish of liquid gold surrounding the pupil, as if it were a kaleidoscope. And as quickly as they had appeared, they vanished.

 I swallowed my interest and quickly ran up the steps to the mansion, giving three quick raps to the door. It opened, and there stood Amius. Shrouded by a dark, charcoal cloak, he bowed deeply. I follwed his example.

 "Nice to see you Edgar," the kindness in his voice rang pleasantly in my ears.

 I gave Amius a quick smile, before following closely behind him as he invited me in. I had to say, the inside of the house had been a drastic difference in taste compared to the outside. The foyer was grand, floored with marble and surrounded by the most exquisite wood paneling.

A stupendous crystal chandelier hung daintily overhead as our path lead us into the den. Encircled with the finest upholstery and persian rugs, the room was given a comforting orange glow by the freshly lit fire which crackled away in it's marvelous stone fireplace.

 The other two Elders had entered the room, and each bowed in respect towards me. I did just the same, but maybe with an edge of impatience. Vibius and Amius flanked me on either side, while Quintus followed along.

They walked me to a wide, spiraling wood staircase, each step about ten feet apart. They left me to stand in front of the steps, and quickly disappeared before I could ask any questions. So I turned, to the sound of a creak. Where a foot would touch a floorboard. Gazing upward, I tried to see the beginning of the staircase, but it was far too tall to be visible.

 A trail of the deepest blue silk started to descend down the stairs, while slowly, a hand reached out and gripped the banister. It was as if time itself had stopped, and the only thing that kept me here was that hand, moving closer and closer towards me. I stood frozen, breathing didn't seem to matter so much anymore . And there she was.

A creature of the most astounding beauty I had ever seen. So perfect, so graceful. A corset hugged her tightly, exentuating her small waist, while a thin layer of lace lined the top of it's plunging neckline. Her snowy white complexion blended perfectly with her auburn hair, tied into a long, cascading braid. But it was those eyes, those glorious eyes, which drew me to her.

I was so mezmerized by her beauty that I hadn't realized that she had curtisied. She hadn't looked at me the entire time; her gaze had been stuck to the floor. Is there something wrong with me? Why doesn't she just....

 She lifted her head, as if she had heard me, and obliged my wish. For the longest time, we stood there, paralyzed, hearts racing, but with the most wonderful realization...that we had found each other.

  'Hello," I whispered to her, "What is your name?"

 I breathed deeply, gazing as her plush, rosy lips parted to respond, "Mina Blackburn."

Her voice pierced my soul, and her words, so sweet and pure as honey - were the most divine thing I had ever heard.

"I see you two have met!" Quintus came bustling down the hall, his arms extended towards us. But I ignored him, she was all I cared about. Quintus reached Mina's side and put a fatherly arm around her, peering down at her with an amused smile. She smiled back, but her eyes were clearly glued to me.

"Come come, you two. Supper is being served." Quintus let go of Mina and walked ahead, acting as a guide.

Yet as he moved on, I drew closer to her, our shoulders almost grazing as we walked side by side. There was so much I wanted to ask her, my mind was reeling with thoughts, and I opened my mouth to speak. "Mina..." but I was silenced, but the gentle curvature of her soft, small fingers lacing with mine. So shyly had she had slipped her hand in mine, but the movement had all the whispered joy of a secret, something only we could share. The contact sent a delicious tingling sensation up my arm, and my head pounded with the sound of my aching heart. A heart...in love.