Chapter 6

My eyes wandered out the large bay window I was sitting next to, my eyes trailing after every single drop of rain as it washed over the outside of the restaurant. Edgar loves the rain, he always has. I can still remember him telling me how rain gave us the power to forgive. That day, in the valley.

A crisp spring day, we were sitting together, my back against his chest as my head rested on his collar bone. In the middle of a sea of golden wheat, the fresh early breeze of the day caressing our skin and the blazing bright sun warming us at the same time. He had been whispering in my ear, making me giggle as his voice was ticklish against my neck. "There's going to be a thunderstorm today Mina." I frowned and craned my face towards his, trying to show him my displeasure with what he had said.

He just grinned and continued explaining.

"I adore the rain. It makes me feel so......peaceful."

He had grabbed my attention now, and I had turned until I was facing him completely, my legs criss crossed and my hands wrapped in his. It was hard for Edgar to find peace. After all, he was the son of Satan. He was always battling with his own problems and the pressure from his father and Elders. But I always seemed to comfort him, and now he was saying that one of the most beautiful forces of nature, brought him what he wanted most. Peace. I smiled and showed him that I was interested. So he continued on.

"The rain Mina, is like an escape for me. A paradise  you could say."

I nodded, listening closely. He leaned in and pressed his forehead against mine, a pleasant chill running up my spine whenever I felt his touch. He whispered to me, so softly that almost no mortal could hear it, but it was loud and clear to me. "I feel as though it heals me. As if it could wash away all of my....sins."

"Mina?"

I snapped out of my day dream and turned to Daren, a little flustered. My mind was still somewhere else. "Yes?"

He looked uncomfortable, even a little frustrated. But he was so adorable. His tussled black hair sat nicely atop his handsome strong face, contrasting deeply with his emerald green eyes. He wore a blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and some black trousers. His usual silver watch on his left wrist, and that same leather wrist band on his right. I smiled genuinely at Daren and turned my full attention to him.

"I'm sorry, I was just....thinking about everything I  have to unpack, for my new apartment."  The worry lines that had creased in Daren's forehead relaxed, and he smiled softly.

"Well, don't worry. Everything will be fine. I can help you move in if you'd like."

I cocked my head to the side and nodded, so maybe nice guys do exist....

"So, I-I think I see our food coming." I mentioned and Daren nodded, spotting a waiter approaching us with steaming plates of Italian food. Spaghetti with tomato sauce for Daren, and veal for me. What can I say, Daren's a simple guy. I smiled at the thought as the waiter placed my plate in front of me.

A chubby, stocky man with a shiny bald head. I nodded my head in thanks and the waiter met my eyes. I decided to tease and winked at him. He gave me a stupid grin as he was placing Daren's food down on the table, but he missed by a long-shot. Right into Daren's lap.

"What the hell?!"

The waiter whipped around and I snapped my gaze away, looking frantically over at Daren to see his new blue dress shirt and dark trousers, given a hefty retouch with some bold red sauce and noodles. I stood up from my chair and hissed at the waiter, "NAPKINS. NOW." He blubbered something incoherent and raced off to the kitchen. I took my napkin and started dabbing at Daren's shirt but she just waved my hand away. "Please, Mina, sit down." I stared at him questioningly but obliged.