New Guy Next Door. Why Does He Have Fangs?!

Hello! So, I randomly decided to write a story. I haven't written anything in a loooooong time. Please tell me what you think of it. I have more written but I don't see the point of putting it up if people don't like it. So please comment and tell me if you think I should continue writing the story or not. Thanks! :D

Chapter 1

"What's the big deal? I just don't get it!" exclaimed Amy.

I probably should have been paying attention to what Amy was saying. And I probably should have noticed what Maria replied to her. But I didn't. I was too distracted by our surroundings. The leaves were starting to turn orange and red and I couldn't pull myself away from the trees that lined Central Park. I mean really, I had never lived through a real autumn before moving to New York. Living in Florida all my life I learned quickly that there were two seasons: hot and hotter. But now living in New York for college I noticed that autumn was really a season but a transition. It's really just middle ground. Not hot enough for summer but yet not cold enough for winter....an in-between. Like me. One step in the human world.....and the other....

"Arabelle!"

I snapped back into reality.

"Were you listening to anything I was saying?" asked Amy.

"Yeah! Of course I was...." Darn! What was she talking about? I completely lost track of the conversation.

"Nice try. Admit it Ara, you were totally zonked out." Replied Maria.

"Well, I was just telling Maria about how my parents were totally overacting about that new grocery store opening up back home. I mean it's not like we are living in the 50's! It's the 21st century for crying out loud!"

Oh no, not this again. Amy and I have been friends since the First grade when I moved into the small suburban neighborhood complex in Winter Park. How ironic. Our neighborhood has been pretty modest and conservative ever since I could remember. Not much happens. Ever. That's why Amy has to understand why a vampire grocery store opening there is a big deal. Actually it's a HUGE deal. Ever since the 1970s when the vampires decided to reveal themselves there have been huge issues with small communities accepting the new laws. I remember my mom explaining things to me when I was little:

"The 70s were a time of change. Gays wanted rights, Minorities wanted rights, Women wanted rights. So why not throw Vampires in as well."

"Well Amy it's not like Winter Park has been a huge transitioning spot. You have to give people some time."

"Time! It's been 30 years. I mean come on Ara, vampires work with our police force. The US government works with the Vampire government. And look at all the laws being passed. I just don't see how a new grocery store for vampires is that much of a big deal."

"From what my parents have told me the people are worried that this store will bring more Vampires to Winter Park."

"I don't know too much about that. I mean, in Phoenix the line is clearly divided from where the vampires hang out and where we live. Besides now with that new medication that lets Vampires be in the sun you can' tell who is who." said Maria.

"Yeah I know. Sometimes I start trying to see if I can see some fangs in strangers I meet." Amy said.

This was getting ridiculous. "Seriously, Amy! Have you ever met a real life Vampire! No! It's rare for regular people to bump into them. They keep to themselves. You and I both know that."

"Yeah, I mean Phoenix has one of the biggest populations and I have never met one. Well not that I know of." Mari shivered as she said that.

We were passing our favorite coffee shop on the outskirts of the Columbia campus. I could already feel the warmth of the coffee passing through me. Hey, it might be autumn in New York but in Florida this is winter weather.