Genus Part 4

I was on edge all last night, and I could barely pay attention as I was working. I scanned and filtered every document I could, but at the back of my mind there was nothing but trepidation of what's to come.

What could happen here? What does FRAME plan on doing? Whatever they end up fucking up, could it ever be un-fucked? That's a word right? Unfucked?

I kept checking on their feed and website to see about any updates, but as a parent corporation, you don't end up seeing most of the evil behind the scenes action. After awhile I started to think about why they even decided to get together in the first place?

They said it was more about presenting a unified front of what mainstream film could be, but does that mean consolidating their ideas and making one amalgamous, homogenized piece of garbage again and again forever? Instead of one crappy romantic pseudo-comedy about holidays there will be nothing but them?

Will we see Arbor Day next, with a treasure trove of cash-hungry actors clamoring for attention as their star power fades off into oblivion? Wait a second, it just occured to me that if it's the one parent company that's bringing everything together, that means that as it pertains to my work; this could potentially mean that FRAME would be representing -or covering for- the entirety of one group.

Actually, if it's one company presenting a unified front, they could develop their own favorties or preferred vendors for everything and do a lot of economic damage. Rather than have up to ten law firms representing their studios, maybe they would consolidate it.

Who's stopping them from consolidating everything?

During my lingering on that thought, Aaron arrived at my desk.

I was surprised to see him there. He hasn't done this once in my three and half months here.

"Hey bud! How are you doing? Well, I hope."

Before I even had the option to respond, Adam led the conversation.

He's always struck me as one of those dudes that doesn't listen; he's like a cocked-shotgun, waiting for his opportunity to unload. Our desks are within earshot, and i've heard him do this to his other co-workers time and time again.

"So, I was wondering if I could take you out to lunch today. Would that be cool?"

As if I had a choice in any of this, I feigned my surprise, and ultimately accepted.

"Sure! That sounds great man. Let me just finish up this section and we'll go."

"Awesome man, sounds good."

I pretended to studiously get back to work, but I was actually only staring at the paper and moving my hand back and forth.

What could he want, and why the hell has this taken so long to happen? What should I say to him during this time? Should I tell him how unhappy I am here, and how I feel like he misrepresented this position to me? Wait, he said that to me last night on the phone.

Before I finish up, I try to clear my mind of all that bullshit and I write some spare notes on a Post-It. Over time, I've noticed that has helped me collect my thoughts and regain my composure. My mind generally runs and runs on a steady diet of unhealthy, belittling and depressing thoughts. This was one way to drown them all out. Rather than have these poisonous thoughts at the forefront of my mind, I get them out so I can be more perceptive to what ever incoming ideas, as opposed to pushing them all away.

I closed the report on my desk and knocked on the frame of Adam's door.

"Alright, sorry about that. I'm ready to head out now."