Family Part 10

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCK!"

Pete shot up from his laid back position in the chair, and white-knuckled the armrest. He was doused in sweat.

He took a quick survey of the area, looked at me, slapped his hand to his forehead and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Damn dude. I'm so sorry."

In spite of his apology, the tenor in his voice changed now to the "classic seventies stoner" type of voice. Whenever he talked, I may as well have been talking to Jim Breuer from Half Baked.

"I just, like, should have laid back with you and smoked some weed. Instead, I went all in and made myself look like an asshole. No one wants to see that man. I barely met you, and now totally embarassed myself. It's not cool, not okay."

"Don't beat yourself up about it man. It's all good, I know what to expect when someone pulls out a needle."

I can't fucking believe I did this again. I always do this, why can't I just meet someone and not completely freak them out? I really need to kick this shit man. I need to pull myself together and beat this once and for all.

"Pete, take a breath man. Don't worry so much. Listen, let's just chill out, we'll crash here tonight -I think i'm way too high to drive as it is- and then we'll restart everything for tomorrow. Do you have anything to do then, or are you free?"

Pete, still clearly ashamed and not looking at me, nodded in agreement. He began to speak, still into his chest with his hand covering his face.

"That sounds good man. I feel horrible, but that sounds really nice. I think I might go crash a little early. I know it's only 10:00, but I feel like I need to sleep this out of my system; you know?"

"Yeah man. That sounds fine. No sweat, and please do not worry about thing for tomorrow okay? Tonight was a casual accident, and it was definitely not a big deal. Just relax!"

He silently nodded, and struggled to get himself up out of the chair. I grabbed his arm to help him up.

"Thanks again for being understanding man. I appreciate it."

With that, he brushed my arm away and walked to his bedroom, where he quickly returned with another sheet and a pillow.

"Here ya go man, just crash on the couch if you don't mind. Let me know if you need anything, alright? Tomorrow, i'll take you out as an apology for me being a selfish prick tonight. "

He flashed a peace sign behind him as he walked away.

"Night! See ya tomorrow man".

And with that, I was alone with my thoughts; again, as always. It was surprisingly quiet given the not so great introduction to the apartment that I got earlier.

As Pete went to sleep, I thought it would be a good time to give Brad a call and weight out my options.

I couldn't help but think that this was a poor decision, but then again I figured out of all the people that i've known he might be the only person to understand where i'm coming from given his business endeavours.

I took pause, then filtered through my contacts to find him, and gave him a call. He picked up after the second ring.

So he was skeptical at first, but then decided to get a hold of me? Maybe I think too much about these things.

"Hello, Phil? Is that you?"

I faked my enthusiasm, I was calling him on a mission to understand something; not casually enjoy his bullshit banter.