Part 6 of Kingdom

I woke up with crippling pain under bright fluorescent lights with a song in my head.

                                "'What seemed like dreams are really nightmares

                                  What seemed like fiction's really real

                                  When my brain won't take in what my eyes say they've seen

                                  Then we've surely reached the end"

Who is that again? Is that? yeah, I think that's the Stiff Little Fingers.

I haven't listened to that in, five years. Ever since, wait, where the hell am I? I smelt an antiseptic, abrasively clean scent. It had no distinct smell. Fuck. What... Is this a, hospital?

The room was the typical light blue and beige with the designless large beige tiled floor.

"Jesus, he's finally awake! Doctor, get in here. Stay right here young man, don't move a muscle!" This poor fucking kid.

"Wh-what did you say?" The nurse looked a little annoyed, and overemphasized her words. "I said, do not move, a muscle, the doctor will be right in!" I hope that was slow enough for him to understand me.

I nodded in agreement. I didn't see her lips move, but I recognized her voice again. Maybe I'm hearing things? What the hell am I on? My body feels weighed down, like i'm under 500 lbs of pressure.

The doctor arrived in the room.

Okay deep breath, how am I even going to tell this kid what's going on with him? We've never seen anything like this.

My eyes focused in. I heard what he said, but I was sure his lips weren't moving while he said it. Is there someone else in this room with me?

"First off, do you know who you are? What's your name?"

"Phil Larson."

"Ok good. Who's the president?"

"Barack Obama."

"Well Phil, you sound okay, thankfully. They really did a number on you didn't they? How are you feeling?"

"Alright, a little sore actually."

Aaron, be honest with him, there's no shame in that.

Where was this other voice coming from?

"Doctor, i'm sorry... I didn't catch your name. What was it?"

"Oh! Terribly sorry about that, I didn't introduce myself my name is Aaron Faeber. Phil, I'll be honest with you, you came in barely alive and we have never seen anyone with your symptoms before. Frankly, it's a miracle you're here. I wanted to check with you and see what's the last thing you remember?"

I was enraged at the mere mention of it. I clenched my fist and my eyes were welling up with tears.

"That, that kid, and... what he did to my mouth."

This poor fucking kid.

"Well, they weren't quite done with you yet. After that, they beat your head in pretty good with a bat and a rock they found. We had to do extensive, reconstructive, experimental surgery." He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat.

Come out with it man. You aren't doing him any favors by stalling. 

"What I'm trying to say is that physically, you are fine. We had to bring in a specialist, Dr. Thompson, to operate. He used some methods I wouldn't have; but you appear to be in great shape. Also, it's best to refer to specialists in, well... unique cases such as yours."

I cut him off.

"So how bad am I doctor?"

"Well, the damage done was mainly only skin deep, but with all this restructuring that happened to your skull and brain, well... we don't know what to expect from you mentally. Additionally..."

Here comes the hard part.

"Wait, what was the last thing that you said?"

My god, the signs of damage are already showing.

"The last thing I said was, we don't know what to expect from you mentally. Let me be honest with you Phil; the reconstruction, and all the exposure from the gas that was coursing through your body, left you in an extremely unique position that we haven't really seen before. To be perfectly clear with you, your brain might be capable of things that you previously weren't, and similarly, you might be incapable to do things you previously could do. We have no idea."

It's a hard pill to swallow but I think I did okay telling him that...let's see what he says.

"What's... what the hell is that?

"Are you hearing any other voices? It's you and me in here isn't it? Will I need some pills or something?"

Dr. Faeber's eyebrows raised curiously.

"No. No pills, just take it easy. There is another patient behind the dividing curtain... Why? What did you hear?"

"I don't know something about a pill and a swallowing? Don't worry about it." The doctor looked concerned.

He's still coming off of heavy medication, the poor kid is hearing things.

"Well Phil, you are coming down from some pretty heavy medication so I wouldn't worry about it yet. Why don't you try to get some more rest?

"That sounds like a good idea Doctor, I think I will."

That went a lot better than I thought. Although, it seemed like he preemptively knew what I was going to say. Ha! That'll be the day. Well....on to lunch I guess.

I turned my head to follow him out of the room. As soon as my head turned to a 45 degree angle, I felt extremely sharp pain. Not going to be doing that again anytime soon... shit that hurt!

One that made me immediately wince and grit my teeth. I'm thinking I shouldn't do that.  What the fuck was that all about? It was like I was hearing his thoughts or something?

"Nurse! nu-u-rse!" I yelled, "I have a question!"

"Yes?"

"Is the doctor still available? I thought of another question to ask him."

"Oh... I'm sorry dear, I believe he stepped out to lunch, is there anything I can help you with?"

Holy, fucking, shit. This is really happening; I can read people's minds now?