Genus Part 2

As much as I wanted to hone in on what Pete just said, I thought it would be best to subside this feeling and the urges; and ultimately try to enjoy the day like we planned out.

We ended up watching a bunch of stupid, magnificent movies and zoning out. It was a really nice day that I ended up needing. You need to trust yourself, when your brain tells you to fuck around.

Procrastinating is fine as long as it's not towards your detriment. It's cool to relax sometimes and I need to remind myself of that.

I was driving home thinking it all through. All the movies, all the potential with Pete, and California in general.

I wanted to let his thoughts linger in that air for awhile and not jump on the opportunity; that would have made me seem pretty fucking desperate. Regardless of me not taking the initiative right in front of me, Pete was thinking about it all through out the day. It seemed that whenever there was a lull in the conversation, he would immeadiately return to think...

" I am still so mad at him. He's done some pretty shitty things, but normally i've been able to brush it off and roll with it. This time, something is different. That dream affected me. Maybe it's some sort of sign. Keith's always been an asshole, but does he really deserve that?"

I didn't outwardly seek the opportunity to egg him on, but if it presented itself; I absolutely took advantage of it.

In between the movies, Pete asked what I was up to before moving out here.

"I didn't really have anything in mind aside from keeping my father's extermination business running."

I told him.

He asked what it was like, and you better believe I took the opportunity to embellish my past.

"It was pretty great man. Think about it this way. You know that feeling you get of accomplishment and power when you've been seeking out a pest that's been driving you crazy and you finally get rid of it? A spider, a wasp, some ants or whatever? Well, when you do that for a living it's a pretty easy, and great way to measure out all your accomplishments. Additionally, you know that feeling you get when you kill the bug in question? It only gets bigger and better. Think of how great it feels to kill 1,000 termites in a nest, or a spider's eggs. Man, it's definitely an adrenaline high. The bigger the thing you kill, the more of an adrenaline high you'd get. It's totally empowering."

"Sorry. When I get passionate about something I get a little rambly."

The look on Pete's face after my rant was everything I hoped to accomplish. He was completely intrigued, and excited by that description. He went on to smile and even rub his chin about it. He was curious, but showed no signs of fear or trepidation.

Should I feel guilty taking advantage of this guy? This was way too easy. I shouldn't have any remorse I guess, nothing happened after all. If and when something does occur, and I do completely take advantage of this circumstance; maybe i'll feel bad. Probably not though.

I pulled up to my driveway after what seemed like a never-ending night away. It didn't feel like that in the way of a horrendously long, and drawn out "thank god it's over" type of way, but moreso in the "i'm finally home and can get in my own bed" kind of way.

As soon as I got in the door I did the usual routine, take off my pants and shoes and throw them wherever, then sit on the couch and completely zone out.

I took an extremely deep breath, and then realized that I had a ton of movies and things that I got that I can unwrap!

This was one of few occasions where I was extremely excited to do something. Albeit, an extremely nerdy thing that I should not love as much as I do, but nonetheless; this was my "kid on christmas morning feeling".

I got up, went back to the door where I dropped my bag of stuff from Amoeba, and started to take them all out and place them neatly in order with how I should open them.

I arranged them in the way that I knew best, or, the only way I arranged anything; chronologically. I placed my Bergman films earliest, and my Shane Carruth films towards the end.

From afar, this would have looked extremely pathetic. A chubby loser, unwrapping boxsets and Blu-rays with the utmost joy. I could not care less about how dumb I looked. This was akin to me going to church. This moment was my sacred space.

It was my sacred space, but then, it got interrupted with a call.

Again, I got up and headed over to the crinkled ball on the floor that was my pants, reached into the pocket and noticed that Adam was calling me.

This motherfucker leaves me all alone in the office without so much as a word of instruction, or casual conversation, and he has the audacity to call me on the weekend? What the hell is this shit?

"Hello?"

I stated this conversation in the most begrduging, shitty tone that I could to make it known that he was not welcome to call me on the weekends.

"Hey Phil! How ya doing bud? Hey man, sorry to bother you when you're off the clock, but I wanted to apologize to you and let you know of some upcoming good news."

"Okay. That's fine man, no worries. What's up?"

I didn't know what to expect, but I was definitely intrigued.

"So listen. I talked to Brad this morning and I understand that you are a bit upset about the job so far. You feel like I sold this position and everything to you incorrectly. Is that right? That's at least the impression I got from him."

I felt the need to tread lightly, so I responded meekly.

"Well, Adam. Yeah. I felt like some of the stuff we talked about from the film festival that was promised has not come to fruition yet, and that's really frustrating. The job is monotonous. It's fine, but it's extremely monotonous. I didn't feel really comfortable speaking up about it before hand, but now that it's out in the open. Yes. I do feel like this position was misrepresented to me."

Adam sighed uncomfortably.

" I understand your concern. You were under the impression that you would be taken out to all these premieres, meeting all these people, and... well... i'm sorry. I'm sorry I haven't delivered what i've promised yet."

Before I could accept his apology and move on, he rambled on.

"But, I do have some things on the horizon that might interest you greatly! I promise you with my heart and soul man. I'll tell you more about it when you are on the clock, but please keep your head up! Great things will be happening soon!"

"Okay man. That sounds awesome! Thanks for the call, and I appreciate you reaching out and talking to me about this."

"Of course man! You got it. Have the rest of a good weekend and I will see you monday in the A.M. sir!"

What the hell could he have been talking about?