35- Dreams of Reality

"You! This is all your fault! Everything was supposed to be perfect this year! But you just had to come in and ruin my senior year. But all of that's about to change. I"m going to put an end to you ruining my life once and for all." 

Jessica reached down beside her and picked up a shard of glass that must have landed near her when I smashed that vase earlier. She ran towards Rose at full speed and plunged the glass shard deep inside of her.

"Rose!" I screamed, running towards her. I pushed Jessica out of the way and dropped on the ground beside Rose. "What is wrong with you?"

'"Now it's just you and me Vincent. We can run away together!"

"You're obviously delusional! I yelled reaching for my phone to call the police. "Hello, 911?  I need an ambulance. My girlfriends been stabbed."

"What? Why are you still playing hard to get? Just let it go already. I want you; you want me; isn't that all we need?" Jessica teased, trying to wrap her arms around me.

The second her bloody fingers touched me I cringed and my stomach flipped. I pushed her off of me and looked at her like she was crazy, which wasn't far from what she was. "What the hell is your problem you psyhco?"

Right after that the police bursted through Jessica's front door. "Hands on the ground!" Jessica looked scared as hell, but I had no remorse. She needed to be punished for what she did to Rose.

I ignored Jessica's arrest and went back to stroking Rose's ear and whispering little things in her ear. The ambulance rushed in and helped Rose in the back of their truck while I explained the situation to them.

"God, please let her be okay..."

~~~~

I sighed and continued to play with Rose's fingers. I don't have a single clue why I can't stop replaying that scene in my mind. It's like a terrible nightmare that just won't go away. Seeing her lifeless body just made me hate Jessica even more than I already did.

That's why I was happy to know that she would be going away for a long time. The jury had declared Jessica to be guilty of attempted murder and assault and the judge charged her with 17 long years, with no chances of parole. Rose and I both have retraining orders against Jessica and she can't be within 1000 feet of us, ever.

But I still wasn't that happy. How could I be when the love of my life was basically lying on her death bed? In the last month she'd only made so much progress. The doctor said her reflexes were still working so she was going to be able to walk again, and from her CAT scans the doctors said her brain was functioning normally so her memory shouldn't be a problem either. It was all a matter of how long she was going to be in the coma.

But I knew she was going to wake up soon. Rose was a strong willed person and I knew that on the inside she was constantly fighting to stay alive. Some days I would come into her room and she'd have a little more color in her face. The doctors said it was just the way her body was responding to the medicine, but I wasn't convinced. That was her slowly waking up.

I sighed. The constant beeping of the hospital machines were just making me more miserable. I looked around the room looking for something to drown the noises out. I ended up settling for my phone and I put my playlist of shuffle. I skipped through a bunch of dongs before actually settling on one I liked. It was 1 2 3 4 by The Plain White T's. I closed my eyes and started singing along softly.

Give me more loving than I've ever had.

Make it all better when I'm feeling sad.

Tell me that I'm special even when I know I'm not.