Chapter 23

V O TE / C O M M E N T / L I K E / F A N <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 23

N A T H E N

When Tracy opened the door, she looked like what a lot of people would consider 'a mess.' I stood there with my eyes wide as I took in her appearence -- and no I wasn't concerned about the fact that she had no makeup on, or the sloppy clothes she was wearing.

She was crying.

"Trace?" I asked softly, stepping into the house when she let me in. She sniffled, and wiped at her nose with the back of her hand and shook her head when she caught me staring at her in confusion.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice groggily from all the crying. "I know you hate it when I cry--"

"No," I frowned, and pulled her to me, wrapping my arms around her. "Tracy, I've never told you bullshit like that. Why are you crying? What happened?"

Tracy nuzzled her face into my neck, and began sobbing quietly. I frowned deeper, stroking her long hair as I listened to her cry.

"I didn't...I didn't tell you this on the phone," she said, rubbing my arm. "But last night..." She couldn't even finish her sentence, because she began sobbing harder. I could feel her tears staining my shirt, but I didn't even give a shit at this point.

"Tracy, what happened?" I asked, getting a little worried now. Tracy took a deep breath, and slowly pulled away but still held onto my hands as she looked at me through misty eyes.

"You remember Ashley, right?"

I slowly nodded my head. Ashley is Tracy's cousin -- the two of them are very close, and always have been ever since they were babies. I met her a few times, and I can easily say that she's an amazing girl. Even though she's suffering from Leukemia, she still always manages to smile and stay positive about everything. I smiled at the thought.

"She passed away, Nate."

My eyes bulged out of my head, my jaw dropping as I stared at my crying girlfriend in disbelief. What? Ashley's...gone? I felt myself swallow a huge lump which seemed to form in my throat, and I glanced at the floor before looking back at Tracy. Her lips were quivering.

"W-what?" I whispered. Tracy nodded.

"She's gone," she croaked. "They told her she had a long life ahead of her, Nate.They told her she had nothing to worry about now! Ashley was supposed to grow up...and get married...and live a life..." Tracy leaned against the wall for support, and burried her face in her shaky hands as she balled her eyes out.

"Oh my god..." I said quietly to myself, not even knowing what to say...or how to react. Tracy's body was shaking.

"She was literally....my b-bestfriend," Tracy cried, wiping at her eyes frustratingly. "She was the only girl who was ever truly there for me. She actually listened to me, and actually cared about me! You know?" She looked up at me, and I frowned at her, feeling horrible. I could feel my eyes watering right now.

I couldn't say anything. To be honest, I didn't knowwhat there was that I could say in the first place. I just know that whatever I had planned -- to end this relationship with Tracy, couldn't happen.

Not right now.

Tracy was heartbroken. She lost her cousin, her bestfriend. I know even though they didn't see each other much, they would always Skype, text and call each other everyday. Knowing that my girlfriend already lost someone so important to her? I couldn't make her lose me right after. I just couldn't.