Chapter 8

Chapter 8

       Today was the day we had to do the first task and I wasn't up for it at all. It seemed way too dangerous, and this was only the first task. If we made it passed this one, I knew the next ones we going to be impossible.

       Ryan wanted us dead, but he didn't want to kill us himself. I hated to admit it, but he was clever.

       I quietly put my books in the locker Logan and I shared. He and Flynn were waiting for me and I wasn't going to lie to say that I was stalling.

       Lilly happily made her way over to us. I hated not being able to tell her about the tasks. She played such a huge part in the first time we did it. Not only that, but she was my best friend. I couldn't keep secrets from her.

       "Why do you all look so glum?" she asked. "Oh....Right. Ryan could come in this city anytime."

       If only she knew.

       "Well, I know you're all worried, but we should do something today," Lilly said. "Like go to the movies or the fro-yo place."

       I sighed. "I wish but...." I didn't really have an excuse and I wasn't that good at making them, so I looked at Flynn for help.

       "Social services is coming by today to check to see how everything's going," Flynn said. "They do a check up every six weeks and Mom said that Fin can miss it and we don't know how long it will take."

       "Oh," Lilly said before looking at Logan. "And I guess you don't want to do anything without your girlfriend because you're going to get married later on so you have to stick together."

       Logan chuckled. "Even when Fin and I are dating, you still aren't letting that go."

       "We all know you'll get married," Lilly said. "Well, we can do something tomorrow, right?"

       "Yeah, of course," I said in a quiet voice. "We'll see you." When she walked away, I gave Flynn an impressed look. "I didn't know you could lie like that."

       Flynn shrugged with a smile. "You do not know how many times I lied at the orphanage to sneak around."

       "Ah, like your pickpocket skills," I said. 

       "Exactly," Flynn said. "So....I guess we have to go. It can't be that bad, right?"

       "We'll have to wait and see," Logan said. I closed our locker and the three of us headed to the parking lot and to where Logan's car was parked.

       "Logan!" his younger brother suddenly called as he ran up to us. "Can I come?!"

       "Uh, we're not going anywhere," Logan said. "I'm taking Fin and Flynn home, then I have to do some errands for Dad."

       "I could still come, right?" Jake asked. "I don't want to get in a car with Mike. He's being mean to me."

       "Well, you are annoying at times, so I could see why," Logan said.

       "Please, Logan?" Jake asked.

       Logan sighed. "I'm sorry, Jake. But I have to be alone right now."

       "Oh," Jake said, his mood changing to sad. "I get it. I'll see you at home then." He turned around and walked towards their older brother's car.

       "I hate lying to him," Logan said as he unlocked the car. We got in and buckled up.

       "I know," I said. "I hate lying to my mom and Lilly. I don't get why we can't tell them."