Chapter 6

Chapter 6

       The lights flickering on and off was what woke me up, unfortunately. I was actually able to fall asleep without anything from Death by Death haunting me. Maybe all I needed was to be close to Logan.

       I slowly opened my eyes and looked tiredly at the door. Logan was awake too, but he kept his eyes closed as he stirred a bit.

       Flynn was standing by the door, his hand resting on the light switch. "Flynn, why did you wake us?" I whined.

       "Because I'm awake and Mom's at work, and I don't want to be the only one awake," Flynn said. "Why is Logan here? Did you two do the frickle frackles last night?"

       I glared at Flynn and threw one of my pillows at him. "Must you be so annoying?" I asked.

       "Yup," Flynn said smugly before hopping onto my bed, the movement making Logan groan and put his arm over his eyes. "Come on, Logan-bear. Get up."

       "I'd rather stay asleep forever," Logan said. "And escape reality."

       I sighed and laid back down, my head resting on Logan's chest. "Flynn, Ryan was spotted in Syracuse around one in the morning," I said.

       Flynn frowned. "That's about how far? Five hours away?"

       "Yeah," I said. "He can be in this town any minute, even though there are people by every entrance."

       "But that was at one in the morning," Flynn said. "That was ten hours ago."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "It's eleven?"

       "Yeah," Flynn said. "So, it's either he's here and nobody spotted him, or he's hiding in a different city because he knows he's expected here."

       "Logan, what if this is it?" I asked. "What if he's here and finds us today?"

       Logan removed his arm from over his eyes and looked at me. "Fin, don't say that. Look, I was thinking about what Ryan said and how he's coming after us. He didn't technically say anything about killing us."

       "But he's the founder of a group that gave people tasks, otherwise they would be killed," I pointed out. "Their name is Death by Death. Killing people, as sick as it is, is their thing."

       Logan sat up, making me sit up with him. He wrapped his arm around me and rested his chin on my head, not saying anything else. He probably realized that I was right.

       "I have a theory," Flynn spoke up. "I really don't think Ryan will kill you on the spot or anything like that. He was in prison and if he gets caught again, he'll be in prison even longer with even stricter guards, especially if he purposefully killed two teenagers for no reason."

       "Then why else would he be after us?" I asked. "What else is there for him to do?"

       Flynn sighed. "That, I don't know. But it should give you some hope, right?"

      "I hate to admit it, Flynn, but my hope is long gone," I said. "I'm only seventeen years old and I'm scared for my life. I can't help thinking that's there's nothing we can do."

       "Fin, listen to me," Logan said. "That was what we thought when we were on Death Watch, right? We thought there was nothing we could do, but get this. We pulled our way through and finished all ten tasks. We can pull our way through this."

       Logan did have a point but for some reason, I couldn't convince myself at that. Having to complete those tasks were worse than having one man after us, but it didn't feel that way.