Chapter Thirteen

"But you were in high school years back..." Lilith skeptically muttered.

"I hack different websites for money." Dakota started.

"Illegally...Dakota, this is so unlike you-"Bullshit, Lily. People change. Someone killed our parents. I'm restoring their fortune, hoping to find any traces of them online....but-"There are thousands of networks-"It's a win-win situation, don't you see?" Diego interrupted. Lilith looked frustrated. Her cheeks went red.

"If there are no clues, then at least I'd get the money. But if there are clues...then I get the money and the asshole." Dakota explained.

"I know what's on your mind...that jewel...Dakota, don't. There's another way. You can live with me." Lilith said shakily. She didn't need to start a fight with her brother right after she knew he was alive.

"What about our parents' money?!" Dakota exclaimed. "I'm not going to use a stranger's money!"

"They're not strangers...they're my parents." Lilith muttered, her face going pale.

"How dare you say that?" Dakota exclaimed. His heart thudded so hard in his chest, he ever thought family could make his heart ache a lot. Lilith was hurting him and he had only just met her.

"Look, I know you're still upset...its in the past, Dakota. That doesn't mean we hack systems illegally." Lilith fired. Diego growled and stood up with great concern in his eyes.

"You'll never understand. This is something Dakota has to do. He needs to make sure that his fortune is restored and I'm damn sure that he's not going to use these people's money." Diego blurred angrily.

"Fine. But you can't steal that diamond. I won't..." Lilith bit back the huge lump in her throat. She knew that if she spoke any more then she'd definitely cry. She was so frustrated.

"Dammit Lilith." Dakota growled and stormed into his room, slamming the door behind him. Lilith covered her mouth with her hands as she sobbed quietly. Diego slowly sat down next to Lilith and awkwardly put his arms around her.

"I'm sorry. I just know how hard he can be." Diego said. He never really spoke of Dakota. He never spoke his true feelings and he never spoke to other people to comfort them. He didn't make any plans on getting hurt again.
__________

Dakota faced the ceiling, with his throat dry and his eyes frustratingly watery. His heart thudded in his chest and hated it. The way he was breathing and the way he hurt people...his sister and his only family left. He could hear the consoling words of Diego.

A knock on his door interrupted Dakota's train of thoughts. He didn't reply. Instead, he buried his head into his pillow and breathed in his scent of lemongrass. He loved the smell of lemons and he loved anything sour. Except his personality. He heard his door swing open and the clicking of heels on the wooden floorboard. He knew it was Lilith. How could she not be mad by what he had just done?

"Dakota...I'm sorry. I know our parents mean so much to you. It's hard to let go and it's hard to move on with a shattered childhood...which is why I'm going with you." Lilith finished. Dakota nearly choked on his saliva.

"Lilith, no. All I ask is for you to support us. I could never let you tag along...it's too much of a risk for the only family I love and have." Dakota sternly said. He was so positive that hews sure nothing would change his mind. Losing Lilith...