Chapter 17

"I don't know where all these customers have come from, but Lucas, we need you on the till, and you need to work fast. I know it's only your first official day here, but- coming!" Phil turns back to me after informing the customer that he's on his way, "but I need you to be on your toes for today. And probably the next few days, too. With the holiday season coming up, everyone's starting to look at presents and whatnot. Okay, got it?"

"Got it." I nod once, before we both make our way to the front of the store.

As soon as I'm behind the till, a lady comes up to me. "These please." She hands me two small boxes, holding some of the smaller parts the store owns.

"Sure." I smile, quickly scanning the items, and telling her the price before putting the cash she pays me into the register. "Have a good day."

The next, slightly younger, lady asks me whether I'm excited for Christmas. I say I am, even though it's still another two or so months away. She says she can't wait. Then she continues to tell me about all her cousins who always meet up for Christmas, and the parties they throw. I say it sounds exciting, trying to smile. In all honesty, it makes me a little sad that my family never did anything like that. Whatever though, I'm used to it. I don't even want to be associated with that so-called family anymore.

The day continues with customers looking around, and some starting to buy things. For a while, Phil takes over at the till, and I go to the back to do some stocking up. When I go back to the front, just as my working day is done, there are only one or two customers still looking around.

"Hey, uh, can you help me?" The voice belongs to a girl who looks around my age. She's looking at the different cameras, a slightly confused expression on her face.

"Yeah, sure, what do you need?" I take a look at what she's looking at. It turns out to be what is - in my opinion - one of the worst cameras the store owns. I try not to squirm. It would definitely be one of my last resorts.

"Well, I'm looking for a camera for a photography class I'm taking at university. The one I have now is terrible. I'm looking for something quite cheap, but- I don't know, good. I guess." 

"I'm not surprised you want something good. I think that's the whole point." I chuckle, and the girl blushes slightly. "What type of photography are you doing? Do you need something to take photos of things further away, or closer? That sort of thing. What do you need in a camera? I'll hook you up with whatever best fits your description."

She proceeds, explaining what type of photography she's currently working on, and what her course requires. It takes a good five minutes for me to have a clear list of qualities in my head.

"Okay. This one here-" I open up one of the glass cases, taking out the camera right at the back. "Four hundred and fifty quid, great zoom, eighteen megapixels, as well as HD videos (just in case you ever decide you need it). Also, there's high speed shooting, and it's quite light. Feels good to hold. Try it." I let her hold the camera quickly, knowing that if I don't, I'll end up listing plenty more qualities that she probably doesn't want to hear about.

"I like it. Thing is, I don't have the money right now. Would it be okay to have one reserved to pick up next week? I don't need it quite yet anyway." She smiles, shrugging her shoulders a little as I take the camera, put it back, and lock up the cabinet.

"Sure - I'll just need you to fill this out and we can have it ready for you to pick up next Monday." I hand her the sheet that Phil had shown me for reservations.

After she fills it out, I tell her I'll see her on Monday, anytime, and she smiles again. "Uhm, hey, would you like to go out... sometime?" She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear, smiling sheepishly.