Chapter 27

At some point my laptop decided Rian was meant to be spelt Ryan so that was annoying.  I hope you enjoy this chapter :') 

————————

Rian has explained everything. How he found out about Phil cheating when he walked in on him kissing a girl. How Phil so quickly decided it wasn't worth his time to explain and instead walked out, holding said girl's hand as he went. How Rian got so drunk because he had been planning on proposing. 

It's so fucked up that my ears start to ache once he's finished.

The whole time I'm trying not to say anything but I end up gasping a few times, hearing him explain. The tremble in his voice as he speaks breaks my heart. At one point he breaks down, tears taking over his whole body as he shakes. Now we're just sitting in silence, Rian's face sporting red blotches all over, tears beginning to dry on his cheeks. I'm not used to seeing him down and it brings a heaviness to my heart that I can't seem to shift.

"Rian." Blair's head shoots up at my voice, and he gives me a look of warning. He things I'm going to make things worse (I might). Rian just keeps staring blankly at his hands. "Who was it?"

The question lingers for a while but I know that he understands me. I can feel Blair's eyes burning holes into me. 

"It was Annabel." His shaking body has calmed down now, and he doesn't cry. Just keeps staring down. It's worse than when his tears threatened to create puddles in his lap.

Blair swears under his breath, running a hand through his hair and leaving the room after a moment, as if he can't physically take being in here right now. I watch him walking away until I can't anymore. A moment later I hear the faint slamming of a door that must be on the other side of the apartment. 

Standing up from my chair, I can feel my hands beginning to shake. Before Rian can see, I clench them till I feel my nails indenting the skin of my palm. I walk over to the sink, grab a cup, turn on the tap, run my hand under the water until it's cold enough, and silently hope that Phil gets what he deserves.

After taking a cup of water to Rian, I weave my way through the apartment until I reach what must be Rian's (and Phil's?) room. The door is shut and I can hear strange noises coming from the other side of it. When I push it open, Blair is punching pillows.

Quickly, I shut the door behind me so Rian can't hear anything. Blair's eyebrows are knitted together, his lips pursed and his nose scrunched up a little. I don't think I've ever seen him so angry. Every few second he punches the pillow again. All I can do is watch him. 

After a few minutes, Blair's face seems to change. It's as if his tough exterior begins to fade, his eyebrows un-knitting and his fists unclenching. His lips fall into a frown and I can see him physically breaking apart. The way his knees seem to buckle as he collapses forward onto the bed, his face now in his hands as sobs rip apart at his body.

I'm stuck, not quite sure what the best move to make is. Should I comfort him or leave? I decide on the former, slowly walking over to the bed and kneeling beside it. I pry his hands away from his face and look him in the eyes. He starts crying harder, and pulls me into him. Our arms are wrapped around each other; I can feel his body lurching with every sob.

"This isn't mine to be sad about." He looks up, his eyes barely open and covered in a layer of tears.  He's still slightly shaking but his tears are silent now and fewer than a moment ago.

"You're still allowed to be sad about it. I'm pretty angry myself."

He shakes his head. "No. I'm sad. I mean, I'm a little angry, but mostly sad." He takes a deep breath, his body rocking as he does. "It happened to me."