Chapter Nine: Understanding Is Impossible

I blinked against the harsh light, trying to gain some form of vision without my eyes being burned out of my skull. Sunlight burning into my eyes first thing in the morning was becoming a far too common occurrence as of late.

Groaning I rubbed a hand over my chest, wincing as I gently brushed over five small tender spots. Oh great… what did I do this time? I probed the bruises softly, my eyelids fluttering softly in pain whenever they were brushed at the wrong angle. I glanced quickly downwards at the left side of my chest; five small but deep purple bruises circling my heart. Is that sadistic or what? Jesus, one hell of a dream I had last night.

Something clicked in my head suddenly. Yesterday was Sunday… which means today was Monday… which means I have school and the sun is already up. Oh shit! My body jolted upright, hands bracing themselves in grass. Grass that wasn’t meant to be there. Since when have I slept in my yard? I almost laughed at my idiocy. Until I glanced around and realised that my house actually wasn’t there.

I wasn’t in my yard.

I wasn’t at home.

Warily I glanced around trying to establish my whereabouts. This had never occurred before. Waking up in a random place when I’m not drunk or high? I can tick that one of my bucket list.

I pushed myself resolutely to my feet. From where I stood I could see a sign reading ‘Gale Park’, a playground, about three benches and tables and toilet block. How the hell did I get to Gale Park?! That’s like four kilometres from my house! Toilets were probably my best bet considering my current situation. My foot screamed in pain as I went to step forward and I glanced down at it. Ow! How did I manage that? On the sole of my foot was a massive slice in my heel, a clean cut, but deep. Briefly I remembered broken glass, blood and a throbbing pain. What exactly happened? If it wasn’t a dream then… I glanced back down at my chest, the bruises suddenly mocking me. Gulping I glanced away from them, wishing I had a shirt to cover my exposed chest.

I must have been drunk or something… even though I don’t have a hangover. Whatever. It doesn’t matter Andrew. You just need to get home already.

Hobbling towards the toilet block I knew I had to hurry somewhat. Mum and dad were due back in town today and if they somehow discovered that I wasn’t in school… I was so screwed. And neither China nor boarding school was appealing to me on a good day, let alone today. When I finally managed to reach the graffiti wall of the toilet block it was nearly seven thirty in the morning, judging from the amount of people up and about. School didn’t start for another hour and a bit so I was still in the clear, I just needed to get this foot checked out and get home as soon as possible… which was proving to be more difficult than it seemed as it was agonizing to walk.    

Standing in front of one of the cracked mirrors that was stained with god knows what, I whooshed water over my face, hoping that some of the grit would be removed. My hair and my chest received the same treatment, although my hair more thoroughly. Gently I braced my foot on the edge of the sink, examining the cut with my fingers. Not as deep as I first thought… still hurts like a bitch though. I rinsed as much water through it as possible, removing the dried blood from around the edges and outside of my foot. A few minutes later I decided it was the best I could do until I got home.

***

“Thank the fucking lord!” I grunted as I heaved myself onto the porch steps.

The walk home had taken just over an hour, which no doubt meant I would be late for my first day at my new school. Surprise, surprise. If it wasn’t enough that I was late to everything else on a daily basis, I had to screw this one up as well.  Yay me.