Epilogue

“Everything’s okay now,” I whispered, staring out the cold glass of my window. I could feel Accel’s body heat emanating from his chest as he shifted behind me, resettling me as I leaned backwards. His arms were draped loosely over my waist, fiddling with the hem of the thin shirt I was wearing, his cheek against the feathery strands of my hair. The house was completely silent around us, frosty darkness beckoning from behind the glass pane.

“Maybe,” Ace murmured back, the soothing touch of his fingers tracing patterns on my cheek lulled me into a sense of security. “But we are, now I mean. I love you Princess.” He fell silent, his arms tightening briefly as a fairy light kiss was placed on my ear. He was constantly teasing me like this, stupid displays of affection that I couldn’t live without; not anymore. I’d said it so many times and never completely comprehended what I was saying. Without Accel Hilman in my life, it was a bleak void of nothing with highlights of emptiness. It would be just like it was before. That was something I could never return to, even if I wanted to. Without him there was no existence.

Our breathing was the only sound that broke the silence. Mum and Dad weren’t home, they were still at the courthouse, or talking to people about their company. I was glad of it. With them here we wouldn’t be able to do this. We wouldn’t even be able to look at each other without my Dad passing judgement and my Mum at risk of finding out. I was amazed Dad hadn’t told her yet, but I think he was waiting and secretly hoping for something to change. Well, he’s going to be waiting a fucking long time.

“Stop thinking Andrew,” Ace whispered, soothing the racing thoughts, “It scares me when you zone out like that. Sometimes I feel like I’ll never get you back from that place. I hate it.”

“Sorry,” I mumbled, pouting when I felt one of his hands mess my hair. Don’t touch it unless you plan on doing something about it!

Nice attempt at menacing genius.

Shut up! I can be fierce if I want to be!

“I forgive you,” Ace laughed as I flattened the ruffled strands furiously. “On one condition.”

“Oh…” I groaned, shutting me eyes. “What?” I reluctantly forced the question out.

“Give me a kiss.” Ace smirked and I watched as he licked his lips in the reflection. Of course it would be sexual. I swear to God, someone needs to stop feeding this boy hormones.

There was no hesitation as my body contorted to make my lips reach his. It was so natural now, to just expect his body to be so close to my own; Ace was practically an extended piece of my heart, a crucial place that would never fail to keep beating or I would suffer immensely. His smirk stilled as soon as our lips met, a soft moan breaking the air around us. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach, as he moved slowly against me, breaking the kiss after only a few seconds. Confused I blinked at him. Why did he stop? He never stops.

I merely watched him as a small smile graced his lips, his slender fingers reaching up to trace over them, his eyes closed. My breath hitched at the sensual motion, my inability to breathe sending a flush over my face. That’s hot… Moments flashed by and yet I couldn’t tear myself away. It was times like these when I could just pretend that time could just filter away until it was me and him forever.

Do you really think that can happen now?

Yes. I believe in him… and us. There has to be on thing right in this world. There has to be him.

Then you’re a fool.

Andrew?” Accel whispered so quietly that if the moon hadn’t highlighted his features moving I wouldn’t have heard anything at all.

“Hmm,” I sighed happily, leaning my head into the crook of his neck and snuggling closer. His legs stayed closed around me on either side, his warmth completely surrounding me as we sprawled on the cushions.

I’m so happy here, alone with him… Without judgement.

We’d survived and I’d like to believe that we could just keep on surviving.

“I need to tell you something,” Accel’s voice sounded weird in the half-lit dark. Strain tugged at the musical lilt, his heartbeat increasing under my cheek, his breathing in sync with the furious sound. “Well actually… more like ask you… fuck. Um… Andrew…. You… You trust me don’t you?”

“With my life,” I shot back instantly, slight confusion at how strange he sounded. Slowly I began to sit up, exhaling sharply when Ace tugged me close, pulling my legs over his so I was almost in his lap and our faces were merely millimetres apart. I felt as if I was being consumed by jade, my favourite colour.  “What are you trying to tell me?”

He’s not leaving me is he? He wouldn’t leave me… please don’t…

Wouldn’t be surprised the amount of hit you’ve put him through. Wouldn’t you want to run if you ever got the chance?

No! I’ve tried and nearly killed me, literally. He wouldn’t do that.

“Um…” Ace whispered. I stared at him deeply, loving the way his eyes were bright even in the dark. Is he shaking? Grasping his hands I leaned in closer.

“It’s okay… tell me.”

“Fuck! It’s not that easy… why does it always look easier than this? Andrew… okay… Andrew…”

What?! What! Whatwhatwhat!

“Princess… I love you. I love you for your smile, your laugh, the way you speak, the way you act… You’re so beautiful, so perfect. You’re so innocent, not worth someone like me. But I can’t let you go, no matter what. I don’t care if I seem ‘out of your league’ or whatever it is. I don’t care if I seem like the most heartless person to other people. The only reason I would is because I gave my heart to you from the first moment I saw you… it’s true.”

“Acce-”

“Shh… just let me finish! I want you with me forever and… I know… I know it’s a long time… but Andrew… Andrew James Johanessy… I can’t lose you. Even if you say no… I’ll be here until the day you want to say yes.”

“Accel, what are yo-”

“Andrew James Johanessy… will you marry me?”

***

SEQUEL: THE DAY LOVE STORIES BURNED. (Look in my works xx)