HQ C.38: Wings PT.2

Media: shoutout to @CT0419 for finding the pic (if you know who drew it holla)

Summary: "she made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.

She walked with the Universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings." - Ariana Dancu

Notes: Sorry for the literal MONTH LATE update. i had exams and was just dying from writers block.

The familiar sound of shoes squeaking on the court, greeted the boys as they all filed in for a group practice. Sam's hair catching the light as it seemed to illuminate giving her the image of a halo. She kept on throwing up a ball and spiking it or serving it and for just a second a ghost of a smile rested don her lips, before she turned to pick up a stray ball and  locked eyes with them, slowly picking it up and smiling, "Don't sneak up on me like that !"

They returned her smile and followed her to the whiteboard as usual but they had al noticed her slightly slumped shoulders and the redness around her eyes.

Soon enough the warmup had started and Sam and Haru were sat next to each other, Sam was playing with the brunette's hair and suddenly let out a sigh. Haru turned to her and gave her a questioning look, "I don't want you to remember me like this when you go." Haru shook her head and went to talk but Sam carried on, "I want you to be the best you can be, and sine you're my friend I've dragged you down. You hide in my shadow to make sure I'm okay, you skip lessons to find me when I run off.

"And this has to stop. I just wish-" then she stopped and cleared her throat looking at her callused hands before placing her hearing aid in, as Haru clenched her fists  in response.

"You're saying you're a burden. You know why? Because you have been burdened, my your family, by your adoration of volleyball, by me and by the problems you listen to."

Sam smiled, "This is what I chose to be. A rock for those who I know can become the best of the best. Instead of not giving them the full help and attention they need and you and I both know this lifestyle is impossible for me."

The clouds passed and sunlight began to filter through the windows and Haru looked at Sam, she truly looked at her. The callused fingers, the bandages surrounding them. The tremble in her voice, the tremble in her hands. And the fire burning in her eyes to be something more than a "freak" something more than disabled, less able to be who she was meant to be.

"Do you ever wish you could be someone else? Even just for a bit. Someone nobody knows, whose stronger and happier. Like just a total blank page. Someone whose parents are always home, someone whose sister is alive and someone who dos not live under the constant blame of her brother. Someone who knows what they're doing, someone totally normal."

Haru's eyes widened slightly and she shook her head at the figure behind Sam, before two strong arms had engulfed the blonde, "You're probably gonna say something like 'I'm not good enough' and you shouldn't just yet. You can't stop trusting us when volleyball is a game of trust. $hit, Angel life is a game of trust and you haven't been playing properly because you gave yourself a handicap. You changed who you were to suit everyone else and that is not the Angel I want to know. And I can't even give myself grounds for hating you because you are obviously no genius if you think this is clever."

- - -

I didn't understand.

I thought I was ahead, but I was just so far behind I thought I was first.

Maybe the boys didn't need a martyr, they just needed a coach. Someone human who could show them being broken isn't as bad as it looks.

Slowly I lifted my head and was met with the intense stare belonging to the genius-hating Oikawa, "Are you saying I was a genius?" I replied with a small smirk.

He suddenly heated up before releasing me out of the hug that had helped me realise it was time to release these wings and stop biting my tongue.

"If I'm honest, I'm not particularly sure how you can help or why you would want to. Or what this business is with wings," both of our heads whipped round to see the rest of the coaches and teams watching us, Aoi had her hands on her hips and was laughing at our shocked, blushing faces.

Until there was a long groan and Daichi walked in wearing a skin tight cheerleading outfit, with pom poms. There was a moment of silence and then Kuroo, Bokuto and Oikawa almost fell to the ground howling with laughter. There were tears streaming down most of their cheeks and everyone else just looked shocked, apart from Aoi who was holding her hands to her cheeks staring at Daichi's toned thighs.

"A team is like a family, that was one of the first things Sam-kun said when she became captain." Haru replied, "So of course the boys want to help if they think they can change something." They nodded in agreement and Sam beamed.

"You know I've been faced with many challenges due to my family and my career in volleyball and yet a group of boys and a team that I've payed with for almost thee years now have managed to tear down my barriers and let me fly again. You guys truly are a handul."

It's a weird idea, to change when you're so steadfast in your ways. Opening up when you've always been silent. And even if I was yet to truly open up, I knew I would never have to shoulder the burden completely by myself because all I am is me and that's what they want. Not Angel but Sam.

I finally felt like I was home, sitting on the floor as people laughed at the fact that Daichi had betted that I would never open up, he had explaind it was because he found me to be pretty headstrong in my ways and whether it was meant to be a complimnet, I defineitly not only had a laugh but felt greatly admired as well.

These dorks with their persistent questions and accusations had given me a place to call home, and I didn't know what I was going to do when they left me.

And I couldn't even bare to think about Haru leaving.

03/06/15

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow