HQ C.37: Wings PT.1

Summary:  "Instead of giving her new wings, let's build her a ladder so she can learn to fly again."

Notes: so the new chapter is up, what are your other 2 wishes?~

A black car was circling the school grounds, like a vulture ready to strike. It was Hinata who pointed it out, sitting on the grass outside the gym picking at the green blades before dropping them and pointing at it. Maybe that was when they realised Sam wasn't late and hadn't forgotten training, she simply wasn't going to come.

The boys sat with their backs leant against the exterior of the gym chatting and hoping they were wrong, but their suspicions were confirmed when Haru jogged past, a look of fear resting in her eyes, "Have you seen Angel?"

They shook their heads in response and her hands turned to fists before she slammed one then another into the wall, the fear had turned to anger in a flash and Akaashi quickly grabbed her fist whilst Bokuto grabbed her waist and pulled her away.

"She's dead."

Hinata was still sat on the floor in between Kuroo's legs, twirling a green blade between his fingers, eyebrows furrowed in frustration. Kuroo ruffled his hair when he felt the smaller's body tense up, "What's wrong little chick?"

"I finally collected all the feathers. I was going to help. I-I-I thought maybe I could see her smile again."

Oikawa leant over and patted his shoulder, "Instead of giving her new wings, let's build her a ladder so she can learn to fly again."

Haru however, had slid down the wall to rest with her knees up, forehead resting on her knees as sobs racked her body, and the boys shared a nervous glance between them all unsure how to comfort her before Tsukishima placed his headphones over her ears and the steady beat seemed to calm the brunette.

It was scary, seeing such a strong character break down and the boys suddenly began to fret about what would happen when Sam finally returned, would she have a similar fit? But the main question they all seemed to be wondering was what was happening.

Between gasps, Haru started whimpering, "I betrayed her.  What have I done? Why didn't she tell me?" Then suddenly she let out a small cry. Her face clearly reflecting distress, scrubbing at her eyes until the became an angry shade of red.

They stayed like that for a while, until out of nowhere a figure strolled past and kneeling in front of Haru wrapped her arms around her back, blonde hair fell like a curtain over the two and the boys gasped. Sam stroked Haru's back until she finally looked up and tackled the blonde to the ground, in the process slapping her cheek, hard.

"You idiot!" Her voice wavered as her eyes glossed over with tears, "I was meant to-to comfort you."

But the boys could see Sam's bloodied knuckles and knew it wasn't as simple as that, and the second Haru seemed fine. The blonde stood up, winked at Hinata and sprinted off. The move in itself so surprising no one had the thought to follow her.

The boys turned to Haru who was now leaning back, a watery smile adorning her lips, "I don't know what to do anymore."

This seemed to be Hinata's queue as he leapt up from where he was sitting and held his grass blade in the air, "We are going to rebuild her wings, all together!"

***

"Care to explain why you're laying on the roof?"

Finding Sam was definitely not the hardest part of the mission, but when she was in such an obvious place the boys were certain she wanted to see what they had in store for her.

"Just enjoying what little is left of my freedom," she smiled slightly, eyes watching the boys warily, before they shut as if it hurt to even look at them.

Haru cleared her throat and upon receiving no response wondered if Sam was even wearing her hearing aid before the blonde sat up, cross her legs and looked at the team, "So why are you here then?"

Oikawa was ready to point out that she had been the one to forget about the practice but Hinata stepped forward slightly, "You were never meant to be our rock for us to sink further into the sea, you were meant to teach us how to fly. So we're going to rebuild your wings Angel-chan!"

Sam gritted her teeth, "I've developed a fear of heights."

Hinata frowned slightly before he looked at Tsukishima, who was standing next to Yamaguchi, "We might have only known you for a few months but seriously Sam-san,"

"We love challenges." Daichi finished off, arms crossed.

"So it didn't take long to realise what you were doing for us," Suga continued,

"But we weren't sure why." Nishinoya finished up.

"Until we saw you out with your brother and Hinata saw you lose a feather." Kageyama instantly ducked his head hiding behind his bangs in embarrassment.

"So along the way we figured your family was one of two main causes for your feathers to fall," Hinata finished.

Sam's eyes slowly began to widen and she fought the urge to retaliate and show they were indeed correct,

"And I figured the second cause almost instantly, Sam-chan, me and you are pretty similar so it didn't surprise me that volleyball was your other major reason."

This was when Haru gasped slightly, hand covering her mouth, "I'm useless."

"No, Haruka-san, being there daily you wouldn't notice small hints that us outsiders pick up much more easily." Iwaizumi patted her shoulder reassuringly.

"The responsibility of being a famous player along with being the captain," Kuroo described,

"Having everyone's eyes on you permanently creates hard expectations for you to live up to," Kenma stated, all too aware of that feeling himself.

"The guilt of messing up," Yaku continued

"The pressure to succeed," Bokuto recounted having seen Sam overwork herself multiple times to make sure everyone was at the level she wanted.

Sam looked up, a thick blush over her cheeks, but she wasn't upset. She wa angry, "Stop snooping around an led don't look tear down my barriers anymore. You don't understand, all of my biggest insecurities. Not being able to support the team. Being a bad captain. Letting everyone down. That was all confirmed just now when it took all of you transfers to come and talk to me."

Haru finally walked over to Sam and placed her hands on the blonde's shoulders looking into a pair of clear emerald eyes, "Sam, with every feather you lose, it's a part of who you are and I can't sit by and watch and wait for you to fix it yourself."

But Sam's forehead was creased, her lips set in a hard line as she glared at the floor, and then Oikawa decided having built her ladder,

They were going to push her off because her wings were still yet to be tested.

05/05/16

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow/Fan