First Step to Normality

The sound of the bell rang throughout the school building. In response, most of the students in Tenma's classroom instantly closed their textbooks and went to grab their lunch boxes.

"Don't forget your homework tomorrow!" The teacher said one final time before she gathered her belongings and walked out of the class.

Tenma let out a sigh and leaned back on his seat. "Finally, I thought it'd never ring."

"The break is only for thirty minutes, Tenma." Aoi reminded as she stood up and walked towards him. "If you want to buy something in the canteen, you better hurry up."

"I think I'll pass. I don't think I will get out of that crazy mob of students alive today." Tenma stated before he pulled out a blue lunch box from his bag and showed it to Aoi. "Besides, Aki-nee packed me lunch earlier."

"Really?" Kariya sauntered over and stared at the box. "What is it?"

"Hm, let's see..." Tenma carefully opened the lid slightly and took a peek at what was inside before his eyes lit up and a smile emerged on his face. "It's my karaage bento, my favourite!"

"Ooh, nice!" Shinsuke cried out. The boy mimicked Tenma and took a peek at his lunch box as well. "I got...chicken meatballs!"

"We're both eating our favourite lunches, Shinsuke!" Tenma grinned, raising his hand for a high-five.

Shinsuke nodded and returned the gesture. "Yeah, cheers!"

The other two friends, along with Hikaru and Tsurugi who just walked over, sweat-dropped at the duo.

"Are you two in elementary school or something?" Aoi shook her head in embarrassment at her friends' antics, earning a laugh from the two boys.

"What about you guys? Do you want to buy something?" Tenma asked the rest of his friends.

Hikaru shook his head. "No, I brought my own lunch today."

"Same here." Tsurugi said, showing them his lunchbox.

"Alright, then!" Tenma smiled before he quickly got up from his seat and snatched his lunch box with his right hand. "Come on, let's go to the roof!" The brunet said before he walked ahead of his friends, gesturing them to come along.

The first-years smiled at Tenma before all of them followed not far behind.

"Is this good, Tsurugi?" Aoi whispered to Tsurugi, both of them walking behind the group.

Tsurugi glanced at Tenma's smiling face as the boy chatted with Hikaru and smiled. "Yeah. This is a good start."

A relieved smile graced Aoi's face at that. "Alright. Then, let's keep this up."

-

"Oh yeah, Kariya." Tenma said just as he took another bite of his lunch. "About your video game..."

Shinsuke raised an eyebrow. "Video game?"

"Yeah." Hikaru nodded. "He bought one the day before the match." The purple-haired teenager took a sip from his water bottle before he turned to Kariya and asked, "Have you played it yet?"

Kariya let out a flustered groan. "No! When I was about to log in, the electricity just had to go out!" He hastily took a bite of his lunch and munched on it before adding, "Eet ded't come bek on-"

"Swallow."

Kariya frowned at the navy-haired striker and grumbled under his breath about something that none of them could make out before doing what he was told. "It didn't come back on until about ten. And, I was already asleep."