A New Face

"All right, everyone. We will serve the appetizer first, and then we'll continue with the main dish and lastly, the dessert. We hope you like it." Kenta explained with a slight bow. Then, he clapped his hands. The second he did that, every maid and butler proceeded to serve the first course.

The maids went to each seat, carrying soup bowls. In precise synch, they laid down the soup bowls in front of each guest. Two of the maids behind them followed, laying out four baskets of bread. The butlers then approached the table, both carrying a small pot of soup that rested on plate on one hand while holding a ladle in the other. They approached table, leaning in before serving the still piping soup.

"This is homemade corn cream soup. Please, enjoy it with some bread if you'd like." Kenta said. The other servants bowed to them in respect before leaving the room. Most of the team was speechless by the teamwork the servants showed. "T-Thanks, I guess..." Kirino said, dumbfounded like the others. Even Tsurugi was blinking from what just happened. The only ones who weren't affected were Tenma and Shindou. Tenma, again, was used to it, so was Shindou.

"This looks great! Thanks!" Tenma said, reaching for a loaf of bread. His reaction was a straight contrast to the elegant performance just earlier and it was refreshing. "Could you pass me the bread?" Shinsuke asked first.

Tenma took the basket in one hand before handing it over to his friend. "Here." Shinsuke took the basket and smiled. "Thanks!" Shindou observed the two with a smile. He looked over to Tsurugi, who was eating in silence. Shindou narrowed his eyes, 'He's quieter than usual.'

"Well, what about you Amagi?" Sangoku asked his friend. The said defender grinned, looking excited and hungry. "Yeah, I'll have some. Pass it here!" He turned to the purple-haired first-year across the table. "Kageyama! Let's have some!" Hikaru sweat-dropped at his senior, "Y-Yes, Amagi-senpai."

Soon, the silence was gone. The children talked as they laughed, some of the girls felt like chiding at the boys for being so vulgar at such a formal occasion, but then again, as nice it all was, this was just a simple dinner at a friend's and the mood in the air was so much better. Haruna and Coach Endou finally managed to relax, more than glad to see everyone settle down for the first time since they had arrived.

Karin and Kenta smiled. "We'll be leaving then. If you need anything," Kenta approached Tenma and gave him a small white button. "Just press that button, and we'll be here. We sincerely hope you enjoy your meal." Kenta and Karin bowed in respect. Endou smiled, "Don't worry, I'm sure we will!"

The butler stared at the coach, before having a small smile appear on his face. He nodded, and started to walk towards the door with Karin by his side. "Thanks, you two!" Karin looked back to see Tenma grinning at them. She smiled in relief, finally able to see him being happy again. It's been a long time since she saw that smile. And, she was grateful that she could see it again. With that in mind, Karin sent Tenma a soft smile back. Then, she and Kenta exited the room. When the duo was out, everyone cupped their hands and said "Itadakimasu!" together. When that's done, they proceeded to eat their appetizer.

"This is delicious!" Shinsuke said, taking more and more spoonfuls his soup with each taste. Oddly though, he refrained from eating any of the kernels left in the bowl. Tenma sweat-dropped at his friend's behavior. "Shinsuke, slow down. And eat the kernels too."

Shinsuke halted, "Oh yeah, forgot." Then, he pouted at Tenma. "But, the soup's more delicious than the corn!" he said in a matter-of-factly tone. A few seats away from them, Midori shook her head at Shinsuke's statement. "But, Shinsuke..." the manager leaned forward to see the defender more clearly. "The soup tastes like that because of the corn."

"Can't blame him, though." Kariya shrugged. "The soup is pretty tasty." Midori's eye twitched and she glared at the teal-haired boy.

"I told you, that's because of the corn!"