33. Birthday Suit

"Happy birthday, Kasey!" everyone screamed out as I stepped outside the patio door with Justin's hand in mine. Surprised, I turned to face him, watching him slowly smile at me. Gotcha, his eyes said.

Snorting, I grinned, welcoming the happiness of everyone in Ellen's backyard. Her backyard is the size of a small park but to her it's not big enough. Whatever. It's August, hot and searing middle of August in Texas. Good thing I am wearing a blush pink sundress with a matching floppy hat and sandals.

I'm finally twenty-three and yet I don't feel any different whatsoever—Age-wise at least—but my mental state is definitely different. Justin and I are back together and it's been this way for four months. I finished the log before the end of May and by early June it was published and everyone went insane. I have a lot of bank accounts and charities. The money just has to go somewhere. The construction for Justin's Arlington Performing Arts Center is in the works and should be done by mid January. I'm so very proud of my gorgeous boyfriend.

He squeezed my hand I squeezed back. Looking out into the sea of friends and family I couldn't help but laugh. Charlotte is at the food table, stealing snacks while Milly is in a discussion with someone nearby. She's four and half months along now and has the belly to show it against her light gray dress. August is too hot for black so she makes do with gray. Milly absolutely hates it. She swears Charlotte is cooking the baby.

Miranda is here with mom and dad, her head thrown back in laughter with Linet who is next to her. She never brings Lucy with her and I wonder why. She's going into her sophomore year of high school now. I really need her to stop growing up, seriously. Her birthday was last month and she got her license and everything. This encouraged dad to buy her a Jeep, a Wrangler Sport in Mojave sand to be exact. She had a super sweet sixteen minus the TV cameras.

Of course she screamed her little head off when she saw the car. I got her an incredibly expensive visa gift card so she could shop until her stomach hurt and Beyoncé tickets with front row seats and backstage access. She cried for three whole hours.

I'm happy with my life and with the people I have in my life. I always feel refreshed and willing to wake up every single day. I no longer fiddle with my hands, which in my opinion is my greatest accomplishment besides discovering yoga from Ellen. I come over at the same time every afternoon for yoga with her and it has bonded us. She's like a cool second mom but a sterner mother because my mom is kind and gentle like a really bad hippie English teacher.

Justin leaned down to whisper in my ear, "Are you surprised?"

"Very," I answered back. He chuckled and then tugged on my hand to propel me forward. First to capture my attention was Jace and Kenny. I sighed, watching as he licked something blue off of Jace's fingers.

"Kasey!" she screamed as soon as she saw me seeing her. "Happy birthday!" She hugged me and I hugged back, nodding at Kenny who is smiling behind her. "You're so old now."

"Someone get me a walker and keep me from the children who are ruining this country with their savvy technology and immodest practices," I joked.

Jace laughed, tossing her gloriously rich red hair over her shoulder. So Jace is like the number one model in the world right now. Victoria's Secret offered her a spot and she told them, "As in the words of Naomi Campbell, they cannot afford me." Which in a way is kind of true because she makes way more money in Milan than America ever tries to offer. She says they are cheap and prideful, thinking everyone wants to work for them. She was in Milan a week ago meaning she flew back to Texas just for my birthday.