26. Mommy Knows Best

Sprawled out on my living room couch, I laughed at the silly little girl on the phone that is squealing in my ear. My sister Miranda really is a mess. Everything makes her excited. She got Beyoncé tour tickets once and she screamed in my ear for two hours. She's lucky I love her.

"You just don't understand how excited I am to spend spring break with you!" she screeched, sighing when she finished. "I get to hang out with you and all your fancy and famous friends. I have to meet a celebrity or it's not going to be complete."

Laughing I said, "Are you using me to meet celebrities?"

"Nooooo," she replied, her voice oozing with guilt. I chuckled. "I would have settled for Justin but you aren't together anymore..."

My eyes narrowed in pain and exasperation. Everyone keeps reminding me over and over again that I'm not with Justin. How I messed things up with Justin. I freaking get it! I haven't seen him in two weeks since that damn event at the Dallas Conventional Center and honestly, I hope I never see him again. I'm tired of hurting him and I'm tired of having all of these things I want to say in my head but not being able to say them aloud. It's irritating. He makes me into a mess.

"Miranda," I said, my voice a warning.

"Okay, okay, but I can't wait to see you next week! I actually get to ride on the plane with Linet all by myself. I had to convince mom and dad we'd be okay." I can feel her rolling her eyes through the phone. I smiled. "Is your new boyfriend going to be around?" she asked, her voice laced with disgust.

Frowning I answered, "I don't know, depends. He's been working a lot so—"

"Justin always made time for you."

"What do you know about anything concerning a love life, Miranda, you're fifteen," I snapped. God, why can't everyone just leave me be about it!

"I know that if I had Justin I'd have stayed with him until I was rotten and wrinkled, that's what I know. But I'm not trying to fight, I'm sorry. It's just you don't seem as happy as you were when you were with Justin and I imagined for spring break that I'd have gotten to hang out with you two and now it's not going to happen."

I sighed. Sometimes I forget how much Miranda really admired Justin. He got her an unlimited subscription to Seventeen Magazine and would send her other free subscriptions he would get from different sponsors. The one to Braums is probably her favorite. I want to feel bad that she won't get that chance, but it really isn't about her.

"I know and I said I'm sorry. I'll always be sorry." I raked a hand across my face, tired. I've been ripping and running from interview to interview and it's starting to take a toll on me. Exhausted, I turned to face the microwave, checking the time.

"I'll get over it. I can't wait to see you next week though. Love you, Kase." Her voice is chipper now. I laughed.

"Love you too, Miranda." I hung up and then grabbed my purse, heading for the door.

I have a shopping appointment. I never even knew those existed until now. Basically if you don't want the paparazzi or screaming fans bothering you, you can reserve a time slot at a store for yourself and yourself only to shop with no prying eyes. It's considerably convenient. Must be there on time though.

My mother is so worried about Miranda staying with me that she has texted me about thirty times to tell me all of what Miranda needs as if she's a toddler and I am babysitting. She is a teenager, all she needs is a bed, food, and water, and the rest she will figure out for herself. Plus, she's bringing her super cute friend Linet with her, she'll be fine. I think my mother doesn't trust me. She has it in her head that I am depressed. Lord forbids I spread my emo ways onto my little sister. I snorted, sliding into the car.