Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kota's POV

"Seriously mom, did you expect him to wait forever?" I asked myself, wondering if I would ever learn to understand the female mind. Between my mother and little sister, I was ready to bang my head against the wall. I did not know what they had expected. Uncle had been trying to court mom for years; she kept him in the friend zone. No matter what he did, she shut him down. She wasn't mean about it, just not interested or so she had said. Now she acted as if he had broken her heart, played her. That was just not true. Then there was Jess. I hated telling her that my brothers had no interest in dating her, that they considered her their little sister too. I felt bad for her. Between her friends, the preteen romances she had read and her own dreams, she had it all mixed up in her head. She was more humiliated than she was heartbroken; at least I thought she was. Shit, I needed expert advice.

Kota: Help!

Victor: What?

Kota: What do I do for 2 heartbroken females?

Victor: Plenty of ice cream, different flavors.

Victor: Chocolate, junk food and Kleenexes.

Victor: Lots of girl movies and a shoulder to cry on.

Kota: You know this how?

Victor: Jasmine

I did not need a longer answer. George Morgan had been a tomcat, always on the prowl. Victor had always been the one expected to put his mother back together after one of George's affaires became public. I stood, gathering my keys and wallet, then headed out the door. It was best to get everything before they got up and the tears started.

Victor's POV

I dismissed Kota's text from my mind. Princess had to rush to Ormand Beach with Ellet, something to do with Korum's mother-in-law. I did not know Ella Stalis personally, nor did I want to. I have heard enough of her whining to know what type of person she was and I was not impressed. She had treated Sang as if she was a kitchen maid, dismissing her rudely and criticizing her at every turn. If Korum had not been my friend, I would have put her in her place. I would not insult a planet full of people by calling her human; she was more like one of those yappy little dogs, the ones that were never happy. Give it a few years and Korum would regret asking that Mia's family receive the nanocytes, she was going to be the Mother-in-law from Hell.

I wondered if Mia and her family knew that Korum had lost respect because of his actions lately. The Krinar had nothing against him marrying his Charl; that he chose to marry her is what bothered them. She spied on him for the resistance and escaped punishment; she thought she knew better than people who were thousands of years older than she was. She saw the world with the ignorance and arrogance of youth, ignoring the parts of it that she did not like. My friends, who she would consider low-lifers, could tell her more about the world than anyone could at her college. They lived it.

With Princess away and work on our project delayed until her return, I decided to watch my friends train. This was their first day and I was curious on what Alir would think of them. I knew them well; none would have let themselves get out of shape no matter how much they hated exercise. Even Corey, the King of the Couch Potatoes, kept in shape and trained regularly. They would find it much easier now; the nanocytes would repair the slightest injury instantly. There would be no aching muscles slowing them down or making it impossible to sleep.

"Good," Alir greeted me. "You just volunteered. I need you to run the course in true Krinar style, demonstrate how it is done."

"You do remember that their strength and speed will remain as it was before the nanocytes?"