Realization

M'gann looked at herself in the mirror. She wore a beautiful white gown that fell to the floor, and her red hair was covered with a delicate white veil. This was supposed to be the happiest day of her life, but M'gann felt like crying. And cry she did. She collapsed onto a nearby chair, buried her face in her hands, and bawled her eyes out.

Artemis, the Maid of Honor, ran into the room and saw her best friend crying. She knelt before the not-so-blushing bride and stroked her back. "Oh, sweetie...are you still upset over Conner?" M'gann nodded weakly before crying again.

Three weeks ago, Conner had gone on a mission in Bialya. Something had gone wrong, and they had lost contact with him. He hadn't come back from Bialya, and no one had seen him since. Not even the Watchtower could find any trace of him. Black Canary had told the Team that they would have to face facts—Superboy was dead. The thought had broken M'gann's heart.

A few days before Conner had disappeared, La'gaan had proposed to M'gann, and she had happily accepted. After that, she had gotten into a fight with Conner over her upcoming wedding. He had accused her of not really being in love with La'gaan. Hurt and angry, she had exploded at him and said he was just a weapon. She could never forget the tears and hurt in his eyes when she said that.

Now he was gone forever.

M'gann wiped her tears. "I can't back out now.", she sniffed. "I can't just leave La'gaan at the altar. That wouldn't be the right thing to do." "Artemis shook her head. "And marrying him when you don't really love him is the right thing to do?" She looked M'gann square in the eye. "M'gann, forget about what everyone else wants for once. What do you want?" M'gann thought over her words.
-------------------
The church was nicely decorated with yards of white satin and golden bells. La'gaan stood at the altar, waiting excitingly for his bride. Aquaman was officiating the ceremony, and Kaldur was the Best Man. The other ushers were Dick, Jaime, Tim and Garth. The other bridesmaids were Zatanna, Raquel, Barbara and Karen.

At last, J'onn escorted M'gann down the aisle on his arm. He looked over at his niece the whole time. Her head hung low as she stared at the ground with every step. She was grateful that her veil covered her face and hid the tears falling from her eyes. At last, they reached the altar, where J'onn kissed her on the cheek and went to sit with the other Leaguers. La'gaan took her hands and smiled at her. She tried to smile back, but at that moment, all she could do was wish she was looking at Conner instead.
------------------------
"Do you, La'gaan of Atlantis, take this lovely young lady to be your lawfully wedded wife?", Aquaman asked. "To have and to hold, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, from this day forth, till death do you part?" La'gaan nodded his head enthusiastically. "You bet on Neptune's Beard I do!" Aquaman turned to the bride, who was staring at her feet. "And do you, M'gann M'orrz of Mars, take this eager young lad to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, from this day forth, till death do you part?"

M'gann looked up at La'gaan, grinning like an idiot. "I..." She looked out into the audience. "I..." La'gaan frowned. "Angelfish, what's going on?" M'gann bit her lip as she looked at Artemis, her words echoing through her head. Forget about what everyone else wants for once! What do you want? She shut her eyes tight before turning her head to look straight at La'gaan, who nodded and smiled at her encouragingly. "I..."

At that very moment, the doors flew open. "STOP!" Her eyes went wide as she whipped her head around. She'd know that voice anywhere. It was the same voice that had comforted her after the Failsafe mission. It was the same voice that had cheered her on at the cheerleading competition. It was the same voice that had said "I love you" to her every chance it got. The very same voice she wanted to hear until the day she died.

He stood there, a few feet from the altar. His shirt was in ruins, his pants were burnt and stained with mud, his shoes were gone...but he was there, his baby blue eyes looking straight at her with love and hope. "Conner?" The whole church was staring at him with wide eyes. They had lost all hope of ever seeing him again. And now he was here. Some of them were standing out of their seats, while others were pinching themselves to make sure they weren't dreaming.

Conner looked over at the white-clad Martian girl, who couldn't tear her gaze away from him. "M'gann...I am so sorry for hurting you. The break-up, your engagement...I realize now that I was wrong to say you didn't really love La'gaan." He took a few steps towards her. "But, M'gann...I also realized that I love you more than anything or anyone else in this world or all the others. I know that after how I messed up, and with you marrying La'gaan, you probably won't want me back, but...if you give me another chance...I'll do my best not to blow it."

La'gaan shook his head. "Forget it, chum! You already had a chance to be with her, and you blew it sky high!" He turned back towards her. "Ignore him, M'g..." That's when he noticed she was still looking at Superboy. Slowly, she let go of La'gaan's webbed hands. He watched in horror as she stepped down from the podium and right up to Conner.

He lifted her veil to see that her eyes were flowing over, only this time, they were tears of joy. She smiled up at him. "Conner Kent...these past weeks when I thought you were dead have been the slowest, saddest, loneliest days of my life. I caught a glimpse of my life without you...and I never wanna go back. I know I don't deserve you after everything I've done, but...I don't think I could go another day without you. I'd be more than willing to give you a second chance...but only if you could find it in your heart to do the same for me."

Not wasting another second, Conner cupped her face and kissed her with all the love he held in his heart. She threw her arms over his shoulders and held him tight. Everyone in the church stood on their feet and applauded, cheering for the reunited couple. They broke their kiss and touched heads, smiling at each other.

M'gann turned around to see La'gaan still standing at the altar, his eyes wide and his body frozen. Biting her lip, she unwrapped herself from Conner's embrace and stepped back onto the podium. "I'm sorry, La'gaan.", she said, taking off her engagement ring and placing it into the palm of his hand. "But the hard truth is, I gave my heart away a long time ago." He closed his fist over the ring. Pressing his lips together, he looked at her and nodded understandingly.

M'gann stepped back down and back into Conner's embrace. He kissed the top of her head. "Let's go home."