Broken Hearts

M'gann looked over her reflection in the mirror.  Tonight was the night.  She had been observing the signs, and she could feel it in her bones.  La'gaan was taking her out to the poshest, most expensive restaurant in town.  They had been dating for a year as of tonight, and M'gann just knew that he was going to propose to her over dinner.

She wore a satin dress the deep blue color of the night sky, with long sleeves, a V-neck, and a skirt that fell to the middle of her shins.  She wore strappy silver heels, with silver star earrings and a silver star pendant necklace.  Her red hair was pulled up into an extra-long high ponytail, and she had on silvery black eyeshadow and dark red lipstick.  Giving her reflection her approval, she grabbed her matching silver and black clutch purse and skipped out the door.

On her way through the halls, she was so elated she didn't notice Conner walking towards her, his nose buried in a book.  Moments later, her swinging arm smacked him on the shoulder, her being the only one affected.  "Ow!", she cried, clutching her hand.  She scowled up at Conner, who looked over his shoulder at her.  "Why don't you watch where you're going?"  He looked at her, startled.  "Sorry.  I didn't see you there."  He looked at how she was all dressed up.  "Where are you going?"

She held her purse to her heart.  "La'gaan's taking me to the best eatery in Happy Harbor!  He's even wearing a glamour charm so he can be seen in public with me!  He's going to propose to me tonight!"  Conner's eyes widened.  "Propose?  Ar-Are you sure?"  "Why else could he be going so out of his way?  He's gonna pop the question!"  Conner bit his lip.  Even though it had been a year since he and M'gann had broken up, he still loved her.  He didn't want her to marry anybody else, let alone La'gaan.

"D-Do you know what you're gonna say?"  She looked at him.  "I'm gonna say yes, of course!  What else?"  Conner shuffled his feet.  "I don't think you should."  She stared at him with wide eyes.  "What do you mean?"  "I just don't think he's the right guy for you."  She put her hands on her hips.  "And who is?  You?"  He stepped back, rubbing the back of his neck and looking at the floor.  "Well, I..."

M'gann shook her head, sneering at him.  "Are you kidding me?  You gave up the chance to be with me the day you tossed me aside like an old rag doll!  I've finally found someone who loves me and accepts me and tries to help me instead of abandoning me when things get hard.  Do me a favor?  Get your own life and keep out of mine!"  Conner just stood there, frozen, his eyes wide with shock and hurt, as M'gann turned on her heel and walked down the hall.  "And just for that, you're not invited to the wedding!"  When she was gone, he fell to his knees and let out soft sobs as a few stray tears fell down his face.
---------------------------------
M'gann dabbed her lips with her cloth napkin.  "Dinner was delicious, La'gaan.", she told him.  "I still can't believe you went through all this trouble for me!"  He smiled at her, his now reddish-brown eyes sparkling as he ran a hand through his long black hair.  "Its the least I can do, Angelfish.  You've been there for me since day one.  I was the guy no one wanted to hang out with.  But you saw past my...somewhat non-normal appearance and saw a person.  For that, I can never thank you enough."

He took her hands in his, now smooth and tanned.  "Angelfish, one of the reasons I brought you here tonight was to...discuss our future."  She smiled.  "And I am fully prepared for that discussion."  He nodded.  "Good.  Now, while I was visiting Atlantis to help Kaldur clear his name, I had a lot of time to think.  Y'know...about us.  We've been having a lot of fun lately, but now that I'm almost nineteen, I realize...its time to stop fooling around."  M'gann nodded eagerly.  "Oh, but of course."

La'gann smiled encouragingly.  "I realize...its time I started being serious and honest about our relationship.  Its time to move forward."  Her eyes sparkled as she leaned closer.  "I know what you're gonna say."  She closed her eyes, picturing herself standing at the altar with her new significant other.  "Great.", La'gann said.  "Because I think we should break up."  She squealed.  "Oh La'gaan, yes!  A thousand times, yes!  Of course I'll—"  Her eyes shot wide open as the full force of his words sank in.  He smiled nervously as he shrugged his shoulders.  "WHAT?!"