First Baby

"Hey, Nightwing." Dick turned around to face her. "Hey, Miss M! How's your lil' bun in the oven?" M'gann stroked her heavily pregnant stomach. "My due date was a week ago!", she groaned. "If I get any bigger, I'll burst!" "First babies are sometimes late.", Dick told her. "Give it time."

She groaned as she collapsed onto a nearby chair. "This would be SO much easier if Conner wasn't on that three day mission right now...and if La'gaan would quit giving me the stink eye." Dick took out some garlic potato chips from his insulated pockets, that he had saved just in case, and handed them to her. "Don't worry. Any day now, he'll be at your side, helping you through labor."

He sat down in the chair next to her as she chowed down. "So! Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?" M'gann shook her head. "No. We want it to be a surprise." She patted her swollen gut and began singing a lullaby in her native Martian language.  Translated, it was, "Rest, my little one.  Rest your weary head.  Your father and I cannot wait to meet you."

She continued singing for a few more minutes, when she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her lower abdomen.  Nightwing looked at her shocked expression.  "M'gann?  You okay?"  M'gann didn't look at him as she said, "Dick...don't panic...but I think my water just broke."  Nightwing turned on the intercom.  "TEAM!  EMERGENCY!  THE EGG IS ABOUT TO HATCH!  I REPEAT!  THE EGG IS ABOUT TO HATCH!"  M'gann stood up.  "Dick!  I told you not to panic!"  "This IS not panicking!"
-----------------
Recognized—Superboy, B06.  "Hey, everybody!  I'm ho—"  He was greeted by Black Canary throwing some blue scrubs into his arms and Nightwing dragging him down the halls.  "Superboy!  The egg is about to hatch!"  "What?"  "That's code for, M'gann is in labor."  Conner felt his heart stop.  The next thing anyone knew, he was gone in the blink of an eye.

He pulled the scrubs on as he ran into the MedBay.  M'gann lay in the bed, panting heavily and sweating like a camel.  Her mood brightened when she saw Conner run to her side.  "You're here.  I was so afraid you'd miss this."  He knelt beside her and put his arms around her shoulders.  "I wouldn't miss this for the world."  She smiled for a while, before another contraction made her cry out in pain.
-----------
"PUSH!" She screamed as she tried to force the child from her womb. "PUSH!" Dinah and Wonder Girl stood at the end, watching the birthing. "It's head and shoulder are out. Just a little more and the baby will slide right out." If Conner didn't have super-strength, all the bones in his hand would have been broken by now. "C'mon, M'gann! You can do this! One last big push!" She shrieked as she let out one final push.

At once, the sound of soft crying could be heard. "Its a girl!", Dinah cried, holding her up for all to see. She had her father's pale skin and her mother's deep red hair. Dinah cleaned her up in a tub and swaddled her in soft pink blankets. Conner and M'gann's faces were lit up as Dinah placed the baby in her mother's arms. She opened her pale blue eyes and stopped crying when she saw her parents.

M'gann rocked the baby back and forth. "Oh, Conner...isn't she beautiful?" "She's absolutely perfect.", he said, stroking her cheek with his finger. "In every single way." Just then, Garfield burst into the room. "Its a girl!" He leaned in towards the curious baby. "What's her name?" "We're naming her Emily.", M'gann told him. "Emily Marie Kent." Gar's eyes grew wide. "Marie? After Mom?"

M'gann nodded as she handed the baby off to her father.  He stared at her in wonder and happiness.  "Hi, baby girl.  I'm your daddy.  Life can get a little crazy around here, but that's what makes it ours."  He kissed his daughter on the forehead.  "Welcome into the world, Emily."