Chapter Three: Roast Beef

“This is huge!” Adam exclaimed as he eyed the big portions of food in front of him.

I laughed at his reaction to this. Compared to the food in England, America really does serve a larger amount of food.

“Just eat up so we can go pick up my dad and that bitch,” I sighed, swirling my straw inside my cup.

His fork stop midair and he placed it back down safely on his plate, “Kate isn’t that bad, you know.”

“I hate her,” I deadpanned, “She just wants my father for his money.”

“Your dad really does love her,” he said.

“Which side are you taking here?”

“Fine,” he finally let out, continuing to eat his lunch.

Adam had known Kate since the day my father started dating her. My dad treated Adam like his own son and Adam sees my dad like his own ever since his father passed away years ago. The hurtful part is, he never once mentioned the relationship before. I’m sure my father somehow convinced my best friend to keep his lips sealed.

After Adam finished his meal and proclaiming that he was so full that he was going to explode, I asked for our check.

“How much is my food?” He asked as he started to fish his pockets for his wallet.

“I got this,” I told him as I grabbed some bills from my purse. He started to protest but I gave him a reassuring smile, “My country, my treat.”

Before he could argue with more, I handed the money to the waiter and grabbed my purse before standing up, “Come on, let’s head to the hotel.”

We both got into my car with Adam almost climbing up to the driver’s seat. He was so used to the other side of the road.

“How did you ever get used to living here?” he asked as he gazed out of the window, admiring the little things we passed by.

“I sort of had to,” I told him truthfully, “I knew that this was going to be my new home.”

“Do you miss England?” he questioned.

Without a second of hesitation, I answered, “Yeah.”

My move to America was the hardest thing that I have done for the sake of my career. There wasn’t much difference but I felt so out of place. People were driving at the other side of the road, it was melting hot here and they used different words from us

When we got to the hotel, we were instantly greeted by the employees. I gave my keys to valet parking and we headed to the lobby.

I went to the front desk to ask what room my father was in.

“Could you please tell me which room Robert Valentine is staying in?”

She looked up at me and I could see surprise written all over her face.

“Certainly, Miss Valentine,” she started tapping on her computer and I waited patiently for her to tell me their room number.

When we finally know which room, we headed to the elevator and pressed the floor. Unfortunately, there were two girls in the elevator who looked at me as they were jumping enthusiastically.

“Can we please take a picture?” they asked, showing us their digital camera. I nodded and they grinned and it was quite obvious that they were holding back a squeal.

“I’ll take it,” Adam offered and the girl gratefully gave him their camera before sandwiching me between them.

After giving them whatever they wanted – a picture and an autograph – it was just in time as we reached our floor. They said their goodbyes and we got out.