Chapter 2

It’s the 23rd of August 2011 today, and the weekend before classes start for University of Manchester  Today is also the day the boys will be moving into their dorms. It was not just chance that brought all the boys to the same school for University training. No, it was much bigger than that.

“Goodbye mum, I’ll miss you.” Louis said with grin on his face, despite the sadness he was feeling in his chest. For the last 18 years, he’s spent every day he can remember in the same house with his mum, and for the next 4 he’ll spend every day away from that house. 

“Bye-bye son. I will miss you even more than that,” Jay says, placing a soft peck on her son’s forehead. Grabbing his face in her hands, she looks up at him dead in his eyes. “Behave yourself, young man.” The look in her eyes conveys a message that only Louis and his mom know the truth behind. 

“I will, mum, promise,” he says, pulling her hands from his cheeks and holding them in his. He leans in and gives his mother one last bear hug and takes his backpack out of his mother’s back seat and slings it over his shoulder. Jay hands Louis’ suitcase to him from the trunk, and tosses him his football. He kicks it into the air and catches it effortlessly in his arm. Louis waves once more to his mum before turning to head for the dormitory building. 

“I love you, Louis!” Jay calls out. 

“Love you!” Louis returns with a shout just as loud. The walk from his mum’s car to the entrance of the dormitory building is but a 5 minute walk, at regular human speed. Being that there are many other university freshman scattering the parking lot and the field in front of the building, Louis decides it best to follow his mother’s wishes and behave himself. He soon approaches the long table set up in front of the entrance with a banner on the front that reads ANDREW’S HALL R BLDG. Louis steps into the line that has formed in front of the table, bouncing his football on his knee over and over, counting how many times he does it without missing. Before long he has moved to the front of the line.

“Last name,” the blonde with big brown eyes, and far too much mascara says.

"Tomlinson,” Louis gives.

The blonde runs her finger over the pages until she finds the name. “Lewis?”

“It’s Louis, but yeah.”

“Apologies, room 312B, 3rd floor, right hand entrance,” she reads from the paper, highlighting the line as she goes. She then leans under the table to retrieve an opened brown lock box. The blonde thumbs through the envelopes inside the box until reaching Louis’. A bright smile plasters her face as she hands Louis the envelope. “Here you are, welcome to R building.”

Louis nods, takes the envelope from her, and grabs his suitcase from the ground. He lets out a breath as he walks towards what will be his home away from home for the next four years.

Inside, at the same time as Louis is going up the stairs to the third floor, a boy with a head full of curls, staring at the ground as he goes, is rushing down the stairs. Louis sees the boy coming down at full speed, and the boy seems entirely oblivious to Louis’ existence. At the last second, the boy shifts to the right, and mutters “Oops,” with his head still down as he barely misses knocking right into Louis, and running right passed him. Still astounded as to how the boy even saw Louis, he says under his breath, “Well hi to you too,” and continues his trudge up to the 3rd floor.

The boy reaches the end of the stairs, and pulls his key from his pocket. See in the dormitory buildings on UM’s campus, you need keys to get and out. He heads for the front entrance, key in hand, and unlocks the door. When the cool summer breeze hits him once he’s outside, he shakes his curls, and pushes the front of his hair to one side. He scans the parking lot for his mother. He hears her thoughts before he sees her, and follows the sound of her voice to find her in the fourth row of the lot. Where is this boy, I told him I would be back from the store in 15 minutes. I swear it, he’d be late to his own --