Epilogue

Meeting up with the King to be formally introduced was very nerve racking, as Julia found out, her stomach twisted up in knots. Dressed in her most formal gown, and cape wearing Karif's diamonds, she entered the King's private rooms. Karif at her side and Tommy, who was dressed in his best suite, hair tamed, and looking so handsome. Making her so proud, blinking back sudden tears, wishing her parents were here, to see this.

Karif clasped her hand, threading fingers through her clammy ones, as they approached his father, and he wasn't alone. Two others stood. The Queen, and another robed man, wearing a gold agal, announcing his regal status.

"What a great honour, Uncle," Karif welcomed as they approached. Julia darted Karif a look. Uncle? There was some resemblance to the prince. Surely not? Karif guided Julia closer to his side. "May I introduce my wife, Julia Sommers Al-Habib, and her brother Thomas Graham Sommers. His royal highness Sheikh Abbas Isam Niji Al-Habib."

Julia bowed her head. "An honour to meet you, your highness."

"And my father, His Majesty of Esqatar, his royal highness Rakim Nabhan Omran Al-Habib and my mother, Queen of Esqatar, Amber Farah Hafa Al-Habib.

"Your majesties," she bowed her head. Tommy followed suit.

Once the formalities were over, Rakim took both of Julia's arms in his hands to kiss her cheeks in welcoming, and swept his arm open to join him. Karif released her from his hold, allowing her to follow his father, taking a seat at his side. Joined by the other King, sitting on her opposite side. Karif guided Tommy over to join his mother, while refreshments were served.

"We are proud to announce a new alliance with our old family. Time to put our differences aside," the King announced. Julia bit her tongue, not to say they hadn't done anything wrong.

"I see you do not agree, Mrs Julia," the visiting King noticed.

She blanched. "Sorry, nothing to do with me."

"Yet you are the one to start this movement with the people." Julia was going to argue against that. "The truth of the matter is, when I found out what my son was doing, it was far too late. We," he pointed between Karif's father and himself, "decided it was best to let it play out. My son was doing it for me. He wrongly believed we were robbed. He had no idea what my great, great grandfather was capable of. Some had been brought up, believing there had been a wrongful act against the King, and thrown out ruthlessly, his throne taken over by his wicked, corrupt brother. Those who had been at his side, and rewarded for their obedience. Slowly they had weeded out. Hearing all the stories about the olden days, my son is beginning to see the truth. That he was quite insane with power, a very dangerous man."

"So he thought he was taking back what was rightfully his," she whispered.

"Quite," Rakim agreed. "It is time to let bygones be bygones. We are opening the borders, allowing trade, and a partnership between the countries."

"Sorry," Julia shook her head, frowning. "When you exiled him, you gave him his own country?" she asked flabbergasted. They usually fled to another country, not given one.

"Restricted. They were under our rule, now we are signing a treaty to give them their freedom, and see to the ruling of their own country."

"In other words," Karif pipped in, "we are handing our land over to them as part of the family," he explained. "There were exiled to own country, on a border, miles away from our cities, nothing more than a desert Bedouin site that now is a small growing community that can build into a full blown city."

"And you telling me this, why?" she asked curiously. Surely it was none of her business.

"After seeing your magnificent display of unity, I realised it was time to let the past go, and move on, and welcome them back into our fold. Yet allowed to live their own lives, under their own ruling," Rakim stated.