Chapter Five

Stirring her second cup of coffee, Julia glanced up as someone joined her table to draw her cup closer to sip from. "How did you find me?"

"Thomas. It seems you're a creature of habit." Karif drawled, then ordered coffee as he was approached by a waitress.

"I'm not apologising," she said flat out.

"Did I ask for one?" he counter-questioned.

She eyed him warily. "I'm not some dumb bimbo to be patted on the head, and only brought out to play with when you're free. If you think that's going to be our marriage life, then you can forget that, here and now!"

"Of course." She looked across to find him amused, leaning back slightly as coffee was placed in front of him. "So this is your local hangout?" He looked around the small cosy cafe. "Thomas' words not mine," he added at her strange look. She shrugged going back to her coffee. Karif leaned in closer, covering her free resting hand on the table with his own.

"Of course I don't think you're some kind of dumb bimbo. Highly intelligent, though attractive. My marriage would be on equal ground with my chosen wife."

She moaned. "We're not getting married, are we? I'm just the stand in for your mysterious wife, until she suddenly appears to make claims on you," she said bitterly, then shook her head. "Sorry. I just can't do this."

"And what about Thomas?"

Large cognac eyes looked at him with disgust. "I hate you," she whispered. "Okay, new ground rules."

"Like what?" he asked cagily, watchful.

"No kissing. None whatsoever."

A dark brow arched in regard. "Not even one?"

"No." His brows netted together in thought. "Okay, maybe one. One can kiss my cheek in affection, for show. Never in private. I'm only at your side for functions when you need your betrothed. I'd find things to keep myself occupied. We don't spend any other time together."

"What if I need your advise?"

"On what Sheikh," she shook her head. "You have a p.a., ask her. The one who giving you all the attention already. And," she eased her hand free from underneath his warm one that was doing strange thing to her equilibration. "I prefer not to be touched when not on show."

"I think you should be paying me," he noted dryly, clearly not amused. "Why Julia? Why all of a sudden these ridiculous ground rules?"

She looked him directly in the eye. "Because I need the distance. I don't like the way I reacted or how she made me feel. We aren't an item in the real sense. You are confusing me and my emotions. I need the space to do this."

"You know what I love about you the most? Is your honesty. Of course, I would respect your wishes. Now respect mine. What you ask, it's too much. I never pretended with you Julia. What you see is what you get. I don't want an open discussion here. Later, tonight. I think there are a few things you need to know about my arranged marriage."

She eyed him closely still not sure. "Let's have dinner. A relaxing dinner, just us, and not on show." Reluctant she nodded. He smiled. "Good. Now how about we just put this behind us at this time?"

"No more kissing?" she pushed mainly for herself.

He lips curled up in a slow sexy smile, eyes twinkling. "For now." How was she supposed to fight that to take another sip of coffee to find it empty to place down, and pushed aside. "Another?" he asked lifting his hand for attention.

"I better have tea." She had her daily count already, even if skinny. "Black, English breakfast." As usual he got instant attention, which had to do more with his looks. No woman in their right might would ignore this man and the waitress was nearly tripping over her tongue to see to his needs. Eyeing her off as if she some sort of mistake. Why was he with someone like her when he could have the busty blond waitress. Sub conscientious Julia tucked hair behind her ear, averting her eyes down.