Chapter Fourteen

After a long tedious few days, Karif finally got a few hours to himself to ponder over things. It was getting messy and needed sorting out. In a way that would keep Julia out of it. He wandered through the oasis garden that took him back to his desert one he liked to visit to get away from it all. At this time it was impossible and would love to take Julia away with him, just the two of them.

Their cousin was pushing so hard, it would soon be up in front of a council to fight for their right to the crown and country. On top of that, is the Lady, who they can't prove one way or another. Decisions had to be made. They were dangling like a carrot on a string, and couldn't go on. Hanging in limbo. Something had to give, and he had a feeling, he wasn't going to like it.

Julia was going into herself. Shutting herself from him mentally, and didn't know how to fix it. When it is just them, she was fine, but when the Lady was around, she walked away. He had no choice but to deal with the Lady until they find out what was really going on. He had a feeling all is not what it seemed. Just couldn't pinpoint what.

He sighed to strip down and dived into the pool to do laps. He always thought better. With ease, he stroked through the cool, refreshing waters in long, strong strokes, to reach the end, dive, tuck, turn, and pushed off the edge to slice through the water, picking up speed. It felt so good to swim again. It seemed like ages he had done this to let go. Let it all go to just enjoy the act of swimming, sun beating down upon him. Eventually he pulled out by his arms, water dripping off his body as he crossed over to remove a towel to start dying himself as Tommy approached. He was leaving tomorrow, back to London and school, all caught up. He stopped at his side to look across the still rippling water.

"She feels so threatened by her," Tommy said softly.

"I know," Karif sighed, feeling helpless. "There is no need, but I can't seem to reassure her there is no need to feel that way."

"Then find a way or I'd be taking my sister home. She doesn't need this. Hasn't she been through enough already?"

Karif glanced across to the young man, who seemed wiser, beyond his age. What had Julia said? Fifteen, going on twenty-five. "Perhaps you're correct. I need to get her out of this mess, before it all explodes up in my face. However, not home. How does London sound? You would have everything at your disposal. My plane, my town car. See London; enjoy everything it has to offer, while I see to this mess."

"What about school?"

"You would be driven in every day, and back to Julia. I don't want her alone at this time. During the day won't be as bad as the nights," he added at his curious look.

"What about the Lady? Would she stay here with you? I'm sure sis would really appreciate that," sarcasm rolled off his tongue so easily, to be given a warning look. He wasn't used been talked to in such a manner, yet he was correct.

Draping the towel around his neck, Karif crossed his arms as he stared across the oasis backdrop. "I have no choice. Until I know for sure, one way or the other. Once I do, then I can put things into place. It's my duty to look after her. A promise was made, and cannot be broken."

"Even if it means marriage?" Tommy asked thoughtfully. "If so, you better let my sister go. Go for good, and we would leave for home. Back to Australia, and live out our lives. You have no rights to keep her on a string, if you don't plan to marry her. I won't stand for it."

"No, I guess you wouldn't." He had to smile, admiring him for protecting his sister. "Believe me Thomas there is only one woman I plan to marry, and she is no lady, as in the title," he added quickly at the sudden gleam in his eyes.

"Lucky for you," he laughed, walking away as Julia, who ran appreciated eyes over Karif's rock hard body of perfection, approached. So finely toned, and displayed for her pleasure. "You're no lady, Julia."