Chapter Six

She leaned against the open door frame, watching Karif as he worked at his desk, head down, ignoring her presence. Something she did know. She released a long deep breath, crossing her arms. He was going to make it difficult for her and he called her difficult.

"Yes?" he finally said without looking across. "Is there something you wanted from this lying, cheating, bastard?" he asked his jaw tightening over every tense word.

"Probably not cheating," she allowed. "Actually, how would I know, if you do or not?" she asked softly. Dark stormy eyes flickered across. "Bastard, probably over the top," she added softly. He dropped his pen to lean back into his seat, crossing his arms. This time glaring at her openly.

"Are you actually apologising to me Miss Sommers?"

"Julia actually, if we are going to keep up this pretence."

Shaking his head, he waved her away. "I've changed my mind. You are freed from the contract."

She nodded. "I'm sorry I hurt you." He had been so good to Tommy and she blew it big time by his reaction. "Although, you must know that was a big shock to find out you lied to me. Yes, you did," she added at his parting lips. "Lied to date me." She had to test Tommy's theory and his reaction. His expression softened. She straightened. Surely that couldn't possibly be true. "Karif," she whispered to have him out of his chair and crossed over to take her into his arms.

"Am I allowed to kiss you now?"

Desperately she searched his dark eyes that were so tender and caressing. "Why? Why would you want to?"

Tenderly he caressed the side of her face with the back of his hand. "I must be slipping, if you don't know."

"That's right practice. We need practice to look natural."

"We are natural together that had been the problem from the beginning." Her eyes widened. "We were meant to be kissing. Lots of kissing involved."

"Oh."

"Shall we?" He edged her closer into the room reaching for the door to close. "No interruptions this time." She looked sideways to see Tommy who gave them the two thumbs up sign. The door closed. "So," he drawled. "He is the one behind my reprieve from your outrage and anger."

She swayed closer, placing a hand on his chest to lean against him, and looked up. "You can't blame me Karif."

"Yes I can, if you are only came here, because of what Thomas said."

She straightened suddenly on the defence. "Where I come from we don't lie to people."

"I didn't. I needed someone at my side, and I chose you."

"Through weaving a tall tale by the sounds of it."

"You did seem reluctant and wary. I was trying to reassure you it was only for show, not to get you into my bed."

She gulped. "And now?"

"Well it would look strange, if you suddenly disappeared out of sight."

She stepped further back, hugging her arms, suddenly feeling cold. "I see. So you'd ease me out of your life. Fine. Shall I make a huge scene, throwing a ring at you, because of your male chauvinistic values?"

"Now you insult me again."

"Damn right I am. Tommy's wrong. You're a joke. I'd see the contract out, then you would never see me again." She spun around ready to leave to have her upper arm caught, and dragged back up, hard against his form.

"No," he corrected. "You would kiss me and make up for your bad behaviour," he whispered.

"Karif!"

"Without the usual outrage, or this would never work." His hand went around her waist to turn her more to him as he lowered his dark head to pause at the fire in her eyes. "Now you wouldn't dare think of biting me?" She snapped her teeth at him, then laughed, as he gathered her against him. This was so out of her league.