Chapter Eleven

Karif stiffened at the name. Julia clasped at his hand, searching, the name upsetting him. Karif stood, holding her hand to have Julia standing up at his side. "Please excuse us . I need to talk to my fiancée." He walked out taking Julia with him to his office.

Releasing her hand, he rubbed a forehead. "Remember how I told you I was engaged a long time ago." Slowly she nodded. The pulse in her neck throbbing fast as she clutched at her arms as if cold. He pointed towards the ladies in the other room."That out there mostly likely is a lie, but based on a truth. I don't believe this is happening." He raked hands through his hair. "I was betrothed to a Lady Lynsey when I was only fourteen, and she was just a baby."

Her mouth dropped open. "No wonder you weren't worried about our ages," she gasped.

"Well, her family disappeared in the desert. Her parents killed. We found the bodies much later. The baby never found. Disappeared off the face of the earth, and believe me, we had the resources to find her, and never did."

Was she indeed this Lady, to look at him in desperate need. This could change everything. She turned to him in desperation. "Please tell me it's not possible. I thought you made it all up."

Roughly, he run a hand through his hair. "I told you I was betrothed once, and it didn't work out because she disappeared," he corrected as he began pacing his office.

"How can we even know, if she is who, she say she is? And what does this mean for us?"

"As far as I am concerned about us, not a damn thing." He stopped pacing to cross over to Julia to take her into his arms, gathering her against him. "However, I do need to know the truth."

"And if she is, what then?"

"We would deal with it."

"Not out there," she pointed pass the door. "Can we do it in here? Making it official as possible," she asked softly.

"Keeping it impersonal as possible?" She nodded against him. He kissed he top of her head. "As you wish. Darling, you do not have to do this. I would see to this." 

She shook her head. "It's my future involved, and have a right to know."

"Of course you do. And our plans are not going to change, just maybe, delayed." Wide horrified eyes shot up to him, searching. "Darling I can't have this hanging over our heads. Once sorted, we would get married," he promised, lowering his dark head to kiss her. This morning she had woken up so in love and happy and in her man's arm, and now it was all turned upside down, threatened by a Lady. No matter what Karif thought she was a threat to their happiness.

"I need to change and ...and..time, please," she begged.

"Of course, send in Carmen, and make sure the Lady is comfortable, and has everything she wants, in refreshments."

Julia's hold tightened around him, afraid to let him go. Her world was falling apart. The bright future she thought they had was slipping through her fingers, and didn't know how to stop it. She needed Tommy, and he was at school. She was falling apart to pull away from Karif, and left before she made a complete fool of herself. Heading back to find the two women close together. Thick as thieves, it seemed, sending a cold shiver spiralling down through her. Suddenly, Carmen twisted around.

"Karif wants to talk you." They both stood. "Not you, Lady Lynsey. You would be joining us shortly. Do you want anything to drink? Tea? Something to eat?" The lady sat down, reaching for her china cup of tea.

"I am fine, thank you." Nodding, Julia spun on her heels, and headed towards their bedroom to bust into, taking deep breaths to calm her racing heart, palms sweating. Unable to catch her breath, she pressed a hand against the pulsations in her chest to sink onto the bed, gasping for breathes.