Taking care of business

Chapter 20

Taking care of business

When doves cry-Romeo and Juliet soundtrack

 *Aura’s POV*

Landing softly on the front lawn, I retract my wings and take a deep breath. Nervously, I walk across the lawn, the heels of my black boots sinking into the ground. I reach the front door and hesitate only a second before knocking. Honey throws open the door and launches herself at me. Laughing for the first in about a month, I swing her around in a big bear hug.

“I’ve missed you!” She squeezes me again before releasing me.

“I’ve missed you too.” I smile warmly at her.

Ky and Nick walk around her and embrace me too.

“How are you?” Nick asks.

I put on my best fake smile, “I’ve been good, really busy though.”

Honey eyes me but says nothing; Ky walks up and hugs her from behind, resting his chin on the top of her head. She blushes and I smile genuinely at them. Suddenly, Chogan walks around the corner and pauses, seeing me standing at the door. His face remains blank and he walks the rest of the way to stand in front of me.

“It’s good to see you, Aura.” His voice is monotone and his hug is cold and impersonal.

I swallow hard and blink back tears, “It’s nice to see you too, Chogan.” I make my tone so cold everyone else in the room flinches.

His eyes narrow but says nothing.

Honey clears her throat and steps in between us, “Why don’t we sit and talk about the game plan?”

Grabbing my arm, she pulls me into the kitchen and throws me into a seat. I shift around in my seat, trying not to think about the last time I was in this kitchen, Nick, Ky and Chogan take their seats and Honey paces nervously next to me.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” I eye her.

She stops and turns to me, “I have a bad feeling about all of this.”

I raise an eyebrow, “All of what?”

“The battle, I don’t think you should go, I think something bad will happen to you.” She says the last part in a whisper.

A shiver runs through me and my blood runs cold, but I quickly cover my reaction with a snort.

“I’ll be fine. You know I’m not an easy girl to kill.” I smile trying to reassure her, but she still looks worried.

“Aura, you know my feelings are usually right.” She kneels in front of me and takes my hand.

I sigh, “I know your feelings are usually right, but I have to do what I’m meant to do. If something bad is going to happen it’s gonna happen, I can’t stop it and I am sure as hell not going to run from it.”

She stares at me, “Aura, what aren’t you saying?”

My eyes flicker to Chogan and quickly away, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I lie through my teeth.

She follows my gaze then looks back at me, eyes narrowed, “Aura Selena, don’t you lie to me.”

I bite my lip, I don’t want to lie to her but I don’t really want to explain it in front of everyone. I open my mouth to answer when Chogan growls, I whip around and freeze.

Standing in the middle of the kitchen facing off stand Chogan and Devon, I stand and slow face Devon.

“What are you doing here?” I calm walk over to him and stare him in the eye.

He lazily eyes me up and down, “I’ve come for what belongs to me.”

I narrow my eyes, “I belong to no one.”

“You use to belong to me.” He runs his knuckles over my cheek.

Batting his hand away I scowl, “I was your prisoner and I would have rather died again, then have stayed with you.”

His smirk freezes on his face and his left eye twitches, his eyes flicker to Chogan and I can see an idea forming in his head.

“You do it and I will rip you to shreds, but first I will skin you and burn you, and inflict any other type of pain I can think of.” An evil smile spreads across my face.

“I will pay you back for the “generosity” you showed me”

My eyes start to glow and fear dances across his face before he can bank it.

I hear someone grunt and turn in time to see Chogan drop to the ground, holding his head.

Rage full’s me and I whip back around to face Devon, my hand glows red and I smack my hand over his heart, “You shall pay for your cruelty.”

My hand sinks into his chest and he gasps, unable to move. Clenching my fist around his aura, I squeeze, he lets out an ear piercing scream.

He gazes at me horrified, “Who are you?”

I smile evilly, “I’m Aura Selena, The Chosen One of the chosen angels.”

His eyes widen and I shake my head, “Good bye Devon, have fun in hell.”

I rip my hand from his body, taking his aura. He opens his mouth in a soundless scream and slumps to the ground, eyes open and sightless, I release his aura and it fades along with his body.

I turn and find everyone starring at me, Honey looks proud, Nick looks curious, Ky looks impressed and Chogan looks….guarded.

“The chosen one?” Nick asks.

Honey nods, “She is the angel of all angels, her destiny is to save the world, although we don’t know how she’s suppose to do it or when.”

I look down and bite my lip, trying not to guilty. I failed.

“Aura, you don’t know when do you?” Honey looks worried.

I sigh, “Everyone please sit.”

Everyone takes their seat and I take a deep breath, “I’ve known for a while.” I blurt out.

They all stare at me and I run my hand through my hair, “I always knew that I was the Chosen One even when I was denying it. I was afraid and in denial, I knew in order to save the world and be the Chosen One….I’d have to die fighting the Shadow King.”