Chapter Fourteen

James.

How to describe him?

Jerk, asshole, caring, rude, self-centered, protective.

He has two sides of him, like a coin. Two completely different sides.

One side is the rude, self-centered asshole who I don't care about. I could ignore him for days and not care. I could not have that James in my life, and I wouldn't care.

But then there is the protective, caring James who I would love to spend every second with. This James cares about me, wants to help me and actually cares about my happiness.

How is your heart suppose to decide when you don't even know who the real James is?

So, after our talking and pizza session - I decided to get to work on discovering the real James. It helped a lot to know about James' drug past, but I wanted to find out why he has two sides of him, and which one is the real him.

I googled him, looked through the college database, searched everywhere I could get my fingers on, and I came up with nothing. So I went to the one source who I knew could give me answers.

James' mum.

I skipped down the stairway merrily, walked down the hall and into the kitchen where I found the target - baking cookies.

"Katherine! What you doing?" I greeted as I entered the kitchen, walking over to where she stood.

"Hey sweethart, baking cookies. Want to help?" she asked, rolling a piece of dough in her hand.

"Sure," I agreed, beginning to roll dough in my hands.

"So, Kathy - what's your opinion on James?"

She laughed.

"James. Well, James use to be the most kindest boy. He was always looking out for Jesse, giving him his toys, making sure he was happy. He still does everything to make Jesse happy today, but I don't feel he's the same boy sometimes. He hit high school, and my precious little boy became something I didn't like too much. But that's just a stage of high school, you know? So I just shook it off, put it down to hormones. But then he came back from college, and saw he was still the same guy, and I was a bit heart broken. I hoped he would grow out of it, but my son was home so who was I to judge?"

"I get what you mean Kathy, I'm just trying to figure out who he is."

"Test him," she said, dropping a piece of dough to face me. "You want to know who he is? Test him. Get him to reveal himself."

I thought about it for a moment.

"That's brilliant! Thank you Kathy!" I kissed her on the cheek then ran upstairs to Jesse's room. If there was anyone to ask about plans and James - its Jesse.

I opened his door and walked into his - or for the time being - our room and saw him sprawled out on the bed.

"Jesse, get your lazy butt out of bed, we got work to do."

He groaned and sat up slightly on the bed. "Who dares wake me from my slumber?" he mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Allie does," I mimicked, using his tone of voice. "Now we are going to get James, but not your stupid little seduce him plans, we are doing a revealing plan."

He sat up on the bed properly and looked at me wide awake.

"Keep talking," he urged. I lent closer to him and whispered,

"This is what we're going to do."

~*~~~*~

 "So, you got the music ready?" I asked Jesse as we set up the set in the park.

"Yes, everything is ready. Now, James will be here in about 5 minutes, I have to get going. Good luck!" Jesse kissed me on the cheek and ran off.

I inhaled deeply. You can do this Allie. He's going to open up and everything will be fine. He's done it before and he will do it again.

I sat down in the chair and looked around anxiously, awaiting James' arrival. The sun had set, so everything was dark. The only light was the candles on the middle of the table I had laid out.

A dark figure began walking towards the table, and I stood up to introduce James into the situation. But as the figure was lightened by the candles, I realised a little bit too late that the figure wasn't James, but another guy.

This guy was hot, but he looked very dangerous, and I didn't like the evil grin plastered on his face.

"C-Can I help you?" I asked the stranger.

"Hi, my name is Tom. And you're coming with me."

Suddenly, it hit me. This was Tom Myers, the drug lord out to get James and I. My heart began to race as the thought of every possible scenario that could occur played out in my head.

"Stay away from me!" I shouted at Tom, backing away from the table. How was I going to get out of here?

"You're going to help me get my money. I need my money, Allie. I hope you understand," he smiled stepping closer to me.

"How do you know my name?" I asked keeping eye contact with him as I reached over and picked up the candle stick on the table. It wasn't heavy, but it was a weapon.

"I do my research. Now put the candle down, come with me and you and James will remain safe."

Liar.

"Go to hell," I shouted and threw the candle stick at him. It hit him in the head and he grasped it in his hands.

"You'll regret that!" he shouted as I began to run away. It was hard to run in the dress I was wearing, but I managed. I was just about to hit the streets when I felt a sharp blow to the back of my head.

I dropped to the ground and grabbed the back of my head. The pain was instant. I looked down at my hands to see they were covered in blood. Great.

"Running would have gotten you no where," Tom said from behind me. He picked me up from the ground and began tugging me towards a white van, "though I do commend the effort."

"Let go of me!" I cried out, trying to get out of his grip.

"Shut up and walk or I will hurt Jesse," he threatened.

That shut me up. I reluctantly decided to go with Tom. There was no way was I going to let Jesse get hurt. He didn't need to be involved in this.

We neared the white van and that's when I realised that I was probably not coming back alive. I turned around and looked at the romantic scenery behind me and bid it goodbye. I tried to etch the scene in my mind, as it was probably the last nice thing I was going to see.

Tom opened the back of the van and shoved me in. One of my high heels fell off and hit the pavement with a thud. He slammed the door shut and locked the door before heading around to the front of the van.

The van started up and as I looked out the small window at the back door, I saw him, standing by the table looking straight at me.

James.

"Allie?" he mouthed confused. It didn't take him long to figure out something wasn't right. "Allie!" he cried out and began running for the van.

I hit my hands up against the small window and looked out at him. "James!" I cried out, tears beginning to run down my face.

As he ran towards the car, I could have sworn I saw tears on his face, too.

"Allie! Don't worry, I'll find you!" he shouted.

"James!" I cried out again. I saw his face twist into horror and  I was pulled from the window.

The last thing I saw was James running for the van in which I was being taken away in.

"Goodbye James," I whispered into the cool, night air.

I knew that in this hostage situation, there was no way I was getting out alive.