Chapter 25: Conflict

For the David love and Mozambique ;)

____________________________________________________________________________

It had been almost two hours before I realised why my former home felt so weird. Luke and I had been cuddling on the couch, while I demonstrated my telekinetic abilities to him. He had said my powers had been dormant in Ahina because they would have swayed the judgment of the Council. He had spent a good half an hour teaching me how to retract my wings, so that I wouldn’t look like a freak if we ever did venture out of the house. I had been telling Luke some stories about the twin’s antics when the bombshell finally dropped.

I froze, my eyes wide. Luke immediately stopped laughing and came to kneel in front of me. He gently took my face in his hands and forced me to look him in the eye.

“What’s wrong darling?” he asked me quietly. I shivered slightly at the term of endearment. I was so unused to hearing them from anyone other than Alice…

“Where are they; Alice and the twins? The last time I heard about them was when Ciara was here. Oh my God, Luke where are they?”

“Listen Ella. They are perfectly fine. They’ve been in hiding since that thing came to see your Aunt. Michelle is getting them now. Where did you think she went?” he asked me gently.

I had been so caught up in Luke and everything that had happened that I had completely forgotten about Michelle. I smiled sheepishly at him and he chuckled.

“They should be here now.” he said, and stood from his crouch just as the front door opened.

I jumped up and ran into the hall to see my Aunt Alice walking into the house with a large suitcase trailing behind her. I let out a squeal and ran towards her. She let out a light laugh when I practically threw myself at her. She wrapped her arms around me tightly, holding me close.

Suddenly there were twin screams of “ELLA!” and I was ambushed my two hurtling 5 foot boys. I laughed and hugged my cousins back, so happy to be back with my family. Freddie and Frankie were jumping up and down, unable to stay still to save their lives. Suddenly I became aware of the presence behind me. I turned to see Luke leaning against the doorway with a sad smile on his face. I beckoned him over and he slowly walked up to us.

“Um, Alice, this is Luke Lockhart. He’s my guardian and…” I trailed off, unable to finish the sentence.

Luke seamlessly picked up and said with a gorgeous smile on his face, “Her boyfriend. Nice to meet you Miss James.” Alice smiled at him and shook his hand.

“Nice to meet you too Mr Lockhart. These are my sons, Feddie and Frankie.” she gestured to the two boys in question. They were still jumping around the house, their bags dumped at the front door. Alice surprised us by suddenly changing the topic.

“Your Ian and Mina’s son aren’t you?” she asked. Luke gave a nod.

“How did you know?” he asked.

“I knew your father, a long time ago, before the war. Back when he was married to Mina. You look just like him, it’s uncanny. But your eyes are all Mina’s.” she answered. Luke flushed and I was transfixed by the blush high on his cheekbones.

“Um, would you like some help?” he asked. Alice nodded gratefully and Luke picked up her suitcase and carried it upstairs to her room.

~O~O~

We were sitting outside, on the porch. Luke and I were sitting pressed together under a blanket on the swing. Michelle was inside playing with the twins; she seemed to really like them. Alice was up in her room, sleeping of the fatigue of travelling for two days straight.