Chapter 21: Confession

• Dedicated to Skye, thanks for letting me steal your name and make you into a guy :)

“I love you.” he whispered, a smile on his face.

“I love you too.” I whispered back, and his smile grew. Slowly he reached out his hand and caught mine, our fingers intertwining. It was amazing how perfectly our hands fit together as if they had been created to be the perfect pair. Luke squeezed my fingers gently, and I looked away from our hands to his face.

“You okay love?” he asked, and I smiled reassuringly.

“I’m better than okay, this is perfect.” I said and he chuckled.

We were both sitting on my bed, him leaning against one of the posts and me against the headboard opposite him. Our hands were grasped together in the centre of the bed, next to a plate of strawberries that Luke had brought. He laughed gently and tugged on my hand.

“Come here, you’re too far away.” he said with a mock pout. I giggled and moved across the bed until we were sitting next to each other. He leaned forward and plucked up a strawberry before moving to straddle my outstretched legs. I raised an eyebrow at him and he laughed. He bit half the strawberry before motioning for me to open my mouth. He fed me the other half of the strawberry while I tried to hold back laughter.

“Nice.” I said as he leaned forward, bracing himself on his arms next to my legs. His face was now inches from mine, his head cocked slightly.

“I agree.” he whispered and I laughed. He leaned forward a little and I mirrored his movement. Just as he made to complete the gap the door to the room banged open.

Luke pushed himself away from me and I straightened up. Together we turned to face the intruder. An Angelus with a sky blue aura and wings stood in the doorway, panting as if he had been running a marathon. He froze when he saw Luke and me together on the bed.

“What is it Skye?” asked Luke.

“Luke, the Council has been found.” he answered. Luke broke into a happy smile.

“Are they alright? Is my mom with them?” he asked excitedly.

Skye looked down. “Luke… they’re dead All of them.” he said quietly. I gasped and Luke froze, his eyes wide.

“W-what?” he stammered.

“They’re dead. Each of them stabbed through the heart with the…” he trailed off.

“With the what Skye?” Luke asked.

“The heria sword Luke.” Skye completed.

“Killed by the WHAT?” I asked in shock.

“Ella…” Luke said quietly. I turned to look at him but was faced with his profile. Slowly he lifted his head and turned to look at me. There were tears swimming in his golden eyes. My mouth dropped open at the sight.

“Ella, tell me it’s not true.” he whispered brokenly.

“Luke…” I started.

“No, no, no, no. This can’t be true.” Luke said, jumping off the bed away from me.

“It’s true sir. The sword was found with their bodies in the Chamber.” Skye interjected. Luke’s eyes raised to meet mine, and I recoiled from the hatred burning in them.

“You murdered them? Why?”

“I…”

“NO! How could you? No I know why, you’re Demonate aren’t you?”