Chapter 13: Ahina

“Ella… Ella wake up. We’re here.”

I woke slowly, the dream slow to release my subconscious. I blinked slowly and sat up, looking around. We were in a rest stop on the side of deserted highway.

“Morning Sleeping Beauty.” said a voice behind me and I jumped and turned around. Michelle smiled at me, holding out a cup of steaming coffee. I blinked and shook my head, before reaching out and taking the coffee with a small smile.

“What time is it?” I asked, yawning.

“Almost 5.” said Michelle.

“AM or PM?” I asked.

“PM. How you feeling?” she asked.

“Alright, just a bit weird. Where’s Luke?”

“Right here.” sounded a voice from behind the car. I jumped again and stuck my head out the window to see Luke opening the trunk.

“You’re awake, finally. I was wondering whether Dad gave you too much.” he said. He smiled at me and I suddenly remembered the Angelus-Luke who had stabbed me in my dream. He had smiled at me in that exact same way.

I shook the thought away and asked instead, “Too much of what?”

“The water, it helps your human body prepare for the magic that surrounds Ahina. Side effects include insomnia, nausea, diarrhea and/or heavy slumber.” Michelle said happily while sipping the coffee.

“Well thank God I had none of that. Um, what about dreams?” I asked.

“Dreams, no. Why, did you have a dream?” she asked.

I was about to reply but the driver’s door opened and Luke jumped in. He started the engine and then turned to look at us, “So, what are we talking about?” He then eased out onto the road and began driving.

“Ella wanted to know about dreams.” Michelle said, sitting back.

“Dreams huh, well you are changing so dreams are to be expected.” Seeing my puzzled expression he continued, “Undetermined’s dreams are like prophecies. They are either things that have passed, or things that will come.”

“You’re absolutely sure about that?” I asked, almost scared of the answer.

“Yeah, that’s an ability all Undetermined have, why, did you have a dream?”

I shook my head, “No, just wondering.”

Luke shrugged, before concentrating on the road ahead. I sat back and wondered why I had just lied. I sipped the coffee and focused on the two auras floating around in the car. The green and gold both glittered and shone brilliantly in the setting sun.

My thoughts suddenly turned to my dreams, how they seemed connected to each other. First, Luke pushed me off the cliff, and now he had stabbed me and then told me I had made the wrong choice. What choice did I make that caused Luke to kill me twice in two different ways.  Maybe you chose the wrong side… A voice rose unbidden inside my head. I shook my head slightly, not wanting to draw attention from the other two. No, I would never choose evil, never.

I let my head fall back and I exhaled with a sigh. I watched the road, which seemed to be travelling nowhere very fast. The road was a dark stripe across the otherwise barren landscape.

“Luke, where are we going?” I asked.

“Ahina, where else?”

“And yet we are in the middle of nowhere, why would Ahina be here?”

“You’ll see, we’re almost there.” Michelle said.

“We are?” I asked.

“You might want to brace yourself Ella.” said Luke.

“What ar-“ I asked.

“Three, two, one.” Luke counted down.

We felt the car going through the invisible barrier as we all jolted forward. A near invisible ripple surrounded the car before we ground to a halt. We were thrown back against our seats gasping for breath.

“What. The. Hell?” I said.

“Seems they’ve changed things up around here.” Michelle gasped.

I stared at the other two before shaking my head and following Luke who had alighted from the Volvo. As I opened the door I suddenly felt an iron belt wrap around my waist and I couldn’t breathe. I gasped and grabbed the door, trying to keep myself upright. Suddenly strong, warm arms wrapped around me and pulled me upright. I leaned back against the tall body behind me as I caught my breath back.

“Feeling better?” Luke whispered, his lips brushing my ear.

I nodded silently, unable to speak. I relaxed against his body as I began to calm down.

“I say again… What. The. Hell?” I said quietly.

He chuckled and I felt his chest vibrate against my back. I smiled softly.

“I told you Ahina’s magic would affect you.” he said.

“Yeah, but you didn’t say how much. I thought the water was supposed to help me.”

“It did, you’re not dead.” said Michelle.

I shook my head and shakily began to take my own weight.

“Come on.” Luke whispered, wrapping an arm around my waist and helping me to walk forward slowly. I looked around, and saw absolutely nothing different. I turned to Luke and frowned. He looked down and smiled softly at me, before gesturing for me to look forward again. I did and froze in shock.

 Big palm trees shaded the now cement pathway that was surrounded by green grass. As I watched a huge castle grew up from the ground, like a tree. It stood tall and proud, it’s white walls now shining in the twilight. Huge torches blazed in metal brackets along the balconies and on the towers. Rising from a near invisible flagpole was a white flag with silver wings emblazoned on it. The wings looked inlaid with diamonds as they glittered in the sun. Guards in silver armor stood to attention with huge spears in their hands. We walked forward, Michelle on my left and Luke on my right with his arm still around my waist.

We soon found ourselves in an open courtyard with two sets of stairs leading up to the entrance. Angelus bustled around, their wings casting glows upon the white marble floor. Their combined auras made the air a swirling mass of rainbow colours. There was a fountain in the middle with a huge set of silver, diamond wings with water sprouting out of the edges. We walked forward slowly, the Angelus not noticing us. We were surrounded by an avenue of trees that rose high enough to touch the stars. I looked at Michelle, who winked at me. Then I looked up at Luke, who smiled at me and made my heart skip a beat. I turned to face the Angelus and with a deep breath, we walked out into Ahina.