Chapter 16: Council

The first thing I noticed was the ceiling. It was so high it logically could not be contained in the palace. Painted on the stone were frescoes of different scenes of what looked to be an epic battle. I couldn't make out details, but I could make out silver wings on almost every panel. I wondered what the significance of them were because they were everywhere in the Palace. Before I could ponder my thoughts any longer a harp started plucking an unfamiliar melody.

The three of us walked forward slowly, our footsteps echoing throughout the carnevorous room. Arranged in a semi-circle close to the walls stood the Angelus. Their wings rose high above our heads while their auras painted the air in different colours. Torches blazed in metal brackets halfway up the wall. As we passed the Angelus they fell into deep bows again. Their foreheads kissed the floor as they dropped to their knees soundlessly. We watched them warily as we advanced towards the center of the chamber.

I kept my eyes on the domino-like Angelus, and didn't notice the altar rising above us. Suddenly Luke and Michelle jerked to a stop and I looked up to be met with a small set of stairs that rose to an altar holding 7 thrones. The thrones were all 8 feet tall, reaching above our heads. Each chair had a seat of plush grey velvet, that shimmered in the flickering torchlight. The chairs were ornately carved and were inlaid with glittering gemstones. We reached the first step and knelt down.

Before I could comment on our surroundings a huge burst of auric power burst forth from the thrones. My hair was blown back by the gust of wind as the entire chamber was filled with pure white power. I instinctively closed my eyes against the glare of the magic, my head bowing to protect my face. Slowly the power receded  back to the altar and I raised my head.

Standing in front of each throne was an Angelus, their auras encasing their bodies in a white haze. Halos of blue flames crowned each of the seven Angelus’ heads. Lord Aterus stood at the fourth throne, in the center. His wings contrasted with the glow of his aura. His eyes narrowed as he stared at us, on our knees in front of them. Mina stood to his right, her back straight and her eyes glowing. The Council sat down upon their thrones, moving as one entity. The harp silenced as they moved. The crowd around us stood slowly, though their heads remained bowed in respect.

Lord Aterus spoke loudly in the silence of the chamber, “We recognize the Council as one. Lady Careena.” he gestured to the woman sitting on the first throne on the left. She bowed his head in acknowledgement. She had black hair and wore square-framed glasses, her wings were light blue.

“Lady Ashlyn.” he said to the female after Lady Careena. Her hair was a soft brown and her skin was a light tan colour. Her wings were a light grey colour.

“Lady Mina.” Mina nodded with a smile.

“Lord Aterus.” he stood taller.

“Lord Damon.” Damon bowed his head. He had jet black hair and blue-grey eyes. His wings were the same mix as his eyes.

“Lord Richard.” Lord Richard was an old man with grey hair and wire-rimmed glasses. His wings were white like Mina’s.

“Lord Douglas.” he said. The last Council member bowed his head in acknowledgement of his introduction.

“Power and wisdom to the Council of the Angelus. Semai thie klogh jesen.” Lord Aterus said, his eyes sweeping over the chamber.

“Jesen hawe gas.” chanted the rest of the Angelus, including Luke and Michelle.

“Show yourselves to the High Council.” Lord Aterus said.

Luke stood and Michelle and I followed. “Luke Lockhart, half-Angelus. We have come before the Council by the request of Lady Mina, my mother.”