Chapter 1: Sleep

I sat bolt upright, frantically batting my hair from my eyes.I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and took a deep breath. I checked my alarm clock as I made my way to the bathroom across the hall. 02:35, great. Rolling my eyes I entered the white bathroom.

I placed my hands on the sink and starred into the oval mirror. Ever since the dreams had started a couple of months ago, the circles under my eyes had darkened to a deep purple.I looked like I had been in a particularly brutal fight. Other than making me look like a vampire/zombie hybrid, they made my eyes glow. Of all the features on my face, my eyes were by far my favourite. They're grey, my aunt used to call them molten silver. The surrounding darkness made the irises seem eerily bright, the contrast startling.

Next I pulled my hair from the band and let it hang down my back. My hair is black. Not dark brown, black, like a raven. Almost everyone thinks it's dyed.I guess it's because no one has ever had such pale skin and such dark hair.Maybe I really am a vampire, everyone else seems to think so. Once when I had first heard the rumour, I came home and stood in front of the mirror, poking my incisors to make them grow into fangs. They never did. I shot myself a wry smile in the mirror. It would be great to be a vampire, then I would have an actual reason for being such a loner. I sighed as I walked downstairs. Sleep was always a long way off after the dreams.

 As I stepped onto the landing I saw the light from the TV bouncing off the wall. Alice must still be awake. Alice is my aunt and legal guardian. I've lived with her for longer than I can remember. My parents both died when I was really young. No one has ever told my how they died, but I imagine it to be in car crash. i stepped into the den, ready to command Alice to bed, but there was no need. she was lying on the couch, uncomfortably, if the position of her neck was anything to go by. I always felt so sorry for Alice, other than me she had her twin sons to care for. They were like my baby brothers.

 Alice looked so peaceful I couldn't bear to disturb her. So I centered my mind, held out my hand and called the remote to me. It floated up from the floor and into my outstretched hand. This, along with my vampiric looks, are two of the reasons I have no friends. I'm telekinetic, which means I can move objects without touching them. I know it sounds cool, but it's really not. I used to do it all the time when I was little, but it only got me labeled as a freak. I shook myself out of these thoughts and called for a blanket to cover her. Gently as I could, I moved her, making sure her body was covered.

 That's when I heard it, a flutter of wings. I spun around and ran to the window, trying to locate the source of the sound that had been haunting my dreams for months now. I could've put what I saw out the window down to exhaustion or insanity. But somehow I knew that it wasn't a figment of my imagination. Somehow I knew that what I saw was real. I knew there was an angel flying over the rooftops away from my house, and that the single golden feather lying on the damp grass belonged to it.