Prologue - Chapters 1 & 2

Prologue

The Arc stood at the great window of his heavenly home looking out over a cloud covered sky, soft white and brilliant blue.  He looked down from his home among the clouds towards the Earth, his to watch over, his to protect… his and his army of Guardians.

As Angels go he was tall at least six and a half feet and strong, his build solid and muscular but not overly so, not at all like one of those overly pumped up muscle builder types.  His hair was as dark and glossy as onyx, sleek and silky, the kind of hair a woman would want to run her hands through just to feel it. 

His eyes were the colour of a deep blue sapphire, a sapphire that changed colour deepening or lightening depending on mood or temper.  At present the seriousness he felt was reflected in the deep colour of his eyes, he had a great deal on his mind and concern was written over his classically chiselled face. 

At first glance he looked like the kind of man any woman would kill to be with.  But on closer inspection there was a depth to him that would make even the strongest man pause before disturbing him.

Marcus approached the doorway to the Arc’s rooms and stood quietly trying to gage the mood of his friend and leader.  In all the years that Marcus had known him the Arc had not changed.  He observed his friend’s reflection in the window noting the colour of his eyes and waited for the Arc to acknowledge his presence.

While he waited Marcus looked around the room, a room he knew well from the many times he had spent here in discussions with the Arc and others of his kind.  The room was large with a marble floor, white with flecks of gold and silver throughout. The furnishings were sparse but comfortable; two large black leather couches centred the room with a large solid wood coffee table between them.  The table was highly polished and looked to be some kind of red-wood. 

There were doors either end, one leading to a bedchamber and bathing area, the other to a large meeting room where Marcus had gathered many times with the Arc and other Guardians like himself, beyond that was a library filled with books from every era of mankind.  Close to the meeting room entrance was a huge desk made of the same polished wood as the coffee table.  Behind the desk there was a plush leather desk and two visitors chairs opposite all matching the colour of the couches.

Against one wall was a set of armour draped over a headless mannequin to display it in full.  The walls were bare except for one thing, a glass case set on the wall behind the Arc’s desk.  It was high enough to be a display piece, but low enough for the Arc to access if there ever again was a need.  Within the case was a large sword, held in place above its scabbard.  Both gleamed like polished silver and were looked upon with awe by all who saw them.  

The Arc’s sword was his prized possession, not because of its beauty, its monetary value or the strength it imbued, but because it had for so many years been an extension of his body.  There had been a time long ago when he had need to wear both armour and sword, a time that he hoped would never be seen again in the world of man or Angel-kind. 

The Arc turned his head and nodded in acknowledgement of Marcus’s presence and waited as his visitor approached him.  “Are you well?”  The Arc asked in greeting.

“I am well Michael, and You?” Marcus returned.

Michael, the Arc gave Marcus a wry smile; “I am as well as can be expected considering our circumstances my friend.  Come, sit and speak with me.”

They both took a seat on the couches opposite each other, Michael knew this day was coming and he only hoped that his friend was ready for all of what was to come.  He sat quietly for a moment gathering his thoughts before he began.