Chapter Ten: Family Matters

WARNING: this chapter is longer than usual!

The kiss was short, but satisfying. I was able to conclude that Nathan was not the mystery-kisser from yesterday. His lips were thinner and slightly chapped. I could taste the grape soda that he’d been drinking from lunch. He had both hands on my arms, constricting me from escaping.

Finally, he broke the kiss.

            Pulling back with a smile, Nathan repeated, “Did you understand that, Emma?”

            I felt numb. This was my second kiss…in 48 hours! My head was swimming and my heart seemed to be running a marathon. I gave a small nod and he chuckled, pleased with himself.

            Thunder crashed from outside and I jumped into Nathan’s arms. The school had seemed to darken even more than before. Rain was still pounding on the windows, trying to get in. I shivered in his arms.

            “I-I have to go.” I said, leaving him. I had to get out of this creepy hallway and back to my friends.

            “Wait. Emma, I need to ask you something now.”

            “What?” I hissed, itching to make a run for it. “I don’t want to get in trouble for leaving the cafeteria.”

            “Now that we’ve…kissed,” Nathan hesitated, looking like a nervous schoolboy. “Maybe we can try dating?”

            Was he seriously asked me to date him? I had never even been in a relationship, much less had a decent conversation with a boy. And I really wasn’t the dating type. Serious relationships in high school were just pointless in my view. If I wanted sex, all I had to do was ask. There were plenty of perverted boys willing to do the deed.

“Nathan,” I started. “You just met me. Why do you all of a sudden have all this affection towards me?”

“Emma, we’ve been growing up together for years. In fact, we’ve been in all the same classes together. You’ve just never noticed.

“I’ve always liked you; ever since 2nd grade when you came running into the classroom crying because you’d accidentally stepped on a ladybug at recess.”

I giggled, remembering the memory. “My mom always told me to love every form of life.”

“I can remember every sad day you had. I remember when you sang in the school play in 5th grade. I remember when you got that awful haircut in 7th grade. And, I remember the look on your face when you’d learned the news of your parents. You’d walked right past me on your way out of school.”

        My smile faded and I stared at the windows, which were too blurry to see through. Had I really been that oblivious to a person that cared about me my whole life? Looking back, I did remember Nate in all my class photos and get-togethers. He really had been there the whole time and I was only realizing it until now. Wow, I was so lame.

        “I’m the perfect person for you, Em. I’ve seen you when you were at your lowest and highest. I know what makes you tick. I can ease your pain. I can make you laugh. You’re keeping things pent up inside; I know you are. But I’m here to help you let them out. Don’t you see?” Nathan spoke.

        My words were jumbling up in my throat and I couldn’t seem to form them into a sentence. I wanted to say yes. I wanted to be with Nathan. I wanted to hug him. I wanted it all so badly, but something held me back.