Chapter Nine: The Truth

“Can I please change the station?” I whined, knees tucked up to my chest in the car seat. I was itching to turn the dial as Lil’ Wayne pumped through the speakers. Ricky had his eyes on the road, a serious expression on his face.

            “Do what you want.” He muttered and I helped myself, spinning the dial until Coldplay was softly streaming into my ears. I relaxed into the seat.

            “You like them?” Ricky asked, sounding surprised.

            “As a matter of fact, I do. Their new album just came out and I was one of the first to buy it.” I gloated.

            “Well, I’ll have you know, so was I,” Ricky said, standing (well, sitting) tall. “Top that, Princess.”

            I giggled and a smile trickled across his face. I didn’t think Ricky was capable of liking real music.

            “You don’t seem the type to jam to Coldplay.” I commented.

            “You don’t seem the type to be showing off your panties so nonchalantly.” Ricky shot back and he glanced at my lifted legs.

            I slammed my legs down with a gasp, completely embarrassed. “I thought you were focused on driving!”

            “I’m a man of many talents, and panty-peeking happens to be my expertise. I see you’ve got hearts today.” Ricky laughed.

            “You’ve got some nerve. And I saw you peeking at me this morning from the garden!” I exclaimed. Ricky’s expression hardened once more.

            “I saw you with that Nathan kid,” He nearly spat. “I should warn you about him.”

            I was shocked. “What about him?”

            Ricky pulled off to the side and stopped the car. He then turned to me. “Believe it or not, that loser and I used to be buds when I was younger. Nathan always seemed a bit off, but after his brother kicked the bucket, he went off the deep end.”

            I lowered my head, whispering, “I know. This morning, he confessed to me that he tried to commit suicide.”

            I felt bad about leaking Nate’s secret, but I got the feeling Ricky already knew.

            “I know,” He replied. “I was there when he tried to do it.”

            My mouth opened in shock. “Seriously?”

            “I was with Nathan and I guess I slipped word about his brother, and he just went nuts. He started screaming and tearing out his hair and then he went after me.” Ricky said. I was completely pulled in, still in astonishment. “He pulled out a pocket knife and swiped me across the thigh. It hurt like a mother fucker, I’ll tell ya.”

            I peeked at Ricky’s legs and he lifted his short-leg up to show me the scar. It was faded, but I could tell the wound had been deep. Without thinking, I traced the scar with my finger and Ricky shivered. He pushed his shorts back down and I snapped back into place.

            “The memory is vague, but we had been exploring in the woods. That’s why he’d had the knife with him. I was down for the count after being cut and wasn’t thinking straight after that. But, I still remember Nathan bringing the knife to his throat and getting ready to off himself. I tried to stop him, but…there was just so much blood.”